Black Women : Reparations, convince me

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Thandiwe, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Thandiwe

Thandiwe Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    okay, i am in favor of reparations, just to get that out the way.

however how can convince others of that we deserve reparations?

then, how should it be distributed?

who will be entitled? afterall, many of us can only trace our family ancestory back so far. i can only go back as far as greatgrandparents. and that information will be limited because of records were destroyed in a fire in the public records department in a certain county in TX.

we have several individual, polticians, and a prestigious group of lawyers trying to make our case. i think it would be imstrumental to get the support of others who have already received reparations for the injustices done to them: native amercians (indians) , jews and japanese.

recently, my local black weekly newspaper did a series of articles on the railroad business the and many contributions of advancement and labor we provided to that industry.

insurance companies are being named in these lawsuits. however after doing a little research for a afterschool youth project, i learned that we, black folx, have contributed to the everyday conveniences of this country.

remember, america and alot of white folx have alot to lose if america admitted it guilt. their, our whole way of living and thinking could be affected.

do you really think we will ever get reparations?

2. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    being the antagonist that i can be...

what about all the opportunities we've had over the years. many blacks have moved up the ladder, moved to neighborhoods with greener grass, become business owners and the like.

what is the problem with black americans? many immigrants have come to this country and established themselves and we don't hear them complaining about the injusticies and inequalities of this country.

from the lack of responses, does this mean that others don't believe we will ever receive reparations?

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    yes in due time

4. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    convince me Rich...

first off you really thing white folx are gonna concede to reparations. and you said in due time, it's way past due. remember that 40 acres and a mule???

now convince me why you should get reparations?

i think this is the hard argument we are gonna have to tackled. I see it as a big obstacle.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    yes it's past due us indeed
    i know our shinning point is ahead

6. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the responses.

sherykah, if you were talking to someone who didn't understand why reparations should be made to us, what would be your argument?

you really do need to get the common folx involved as well. our history needs to be told and understood. otherwise, if i were a white person, i too would probably wonder why i should have that burden.

and again, how should reparations be made - money, land, exemptions for paying taxes, free advance educations (college or other high education)?????

7. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    those are questions for you too Rich...and anyone who can answer or has an opinion.

8. Amun-Ra

Amun-Ra Well-Known Member MEMBER

Sales Management
    Ratings:
    +14
    Complexity

I wish there was a simple answer to this, but the idea of reparations has been around for years and no one has been able to get their hands completely around it because of its complexity. First my answer is no. I don't think it will ever happen because we are not politically potent. Nor or we economically united such as the small Jewish population in this country that weilds an enormous amount of power. Nor are we organized like labor unions. Do we deserve them in some form? The answer is a qualified yes. It is qualified because of determining who would get them. What is the criteria? Who decides. What are the time frames covered? Who decides that issue?

I doubt seriously if it will ever happen, but is there any doubt whether of not a debt is owed should be obvious, then I will say that African American are owed a huge debt and forty years of "affirmative action" is hardly a payment for all the land we missed out on owning, for al the education we are just now getting, for all the money we were blocked from making, for the inventions that were patented in someone else's name and much more. Yes, we are owed. Will we get it? I wil be dead and stinking when it happens.

Ra

:toast:

9. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    i agree, thanks for answering those questions.

i think we would have to slowly and surely make others, especially those others who have had reparations made to them, understand so that we have their backing and support. like you said, the jews are a small group that weild alot of power.

i see the group of "super" lawyers and individuals who have filed and will file lawsuits have a huge task at hand.

our history is being even further buried. our children aren't learning in schools and definitely aren't learning about their history and our struggle only to be where we are at now.

i did just recently here the illinois has a law that companies getting government funds or assistance must submit info to determine if they benefited from slavery.

10. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thandiwe,
    Maybe with the Lott controversy now, it might be a good time to bring up reparations again. Since Republicans are in control, maybe this could be a bargaining chip...