Health and Wellness : Reminder: Supplements Are a Waste of Money

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Liberty, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    upload_2016-11-20_4-4-31.png

Over half of Americans regularly take a nutritional supplement. It's a 30 Billion dollar market, which means that on average, each and every American spends $100 a year on supplements. Yet, for the majority of the population, there is no scientific evidence to support the regular use of supplements.

Read more

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=post&id=582B0158-6C77-788F-46B2-8BD58F3B8688

Lose weight & improve your health with a real food diet | Fooducate

Fooducate is your healthy diet toolbox. Eat Better. Lose Weight. Get Healthy. Available for iPhone, Android, and online.
    fooducate.com

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +14,455
    :SuN026: i take my vitamins most days.....i'm still around

• Like Like x 1
    • Enjoyed Enjoyed x 1
    • List
  3. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,034
    I have heard this before,but I must say that when I began taking a multivitamin my time of the month became much less painful.

4. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Notice that they said "for the majority of the population". If you Google "Are vitamin supplements a waste of money" you will be besieged with articles that say, "in general, yes".

There are a few incidences where supplements are consistently advisable. For instance, Folic Acid for pregnant women, B12 is advisable for vegans (I take that one) and Vitamin D is advisable to a select population. But, in general supplements are a viable option for those who are malnourished, in my opinion, and it is better to address the deficiency by changing your diet--eating more fruits, vegetables, etc.

In fact, in many cases supplements can be HARMFUL. They can CAUSE, or EXACERBATE, serious illnesses, toxicity, even death.

5. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Vitamin supplements are waste of money, say scientists

Research suggests diet supplements taken by one in three Britons have no clear health benefits and might even be harmful

upload_2016-11-21_3-51-4.png

Vitamin supplements almost never have health benefits, are a waste of money and could even be harmful, a group of scientists said in a damning indictment of the industry.

Despite one in three Britons taking vitamins or mineral pills, evidence from studies of almost 500,000 people suggested that "supplementing the diet of well-nourished adults … has no clear benefit and might even be harmful."

The conclusions were drawn by British and US academics at the University of Warwick and the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore, and published in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

The scientists also suggested that companies selling supplements were fuelling false health anxieties to offer unnecessary cures, according to the Times.

Read more

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/dec/17/vitamin-supplements-waste-money-scientists

6. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Are vitamin supplements a waste of money?

Could the coloured pills be doing more harm than good?

upload_2016-11-21_3-54-58.png

As the temperature drops and coughs and colds spread, stores are filling up with vitamin tablets and adverts promising they will boost our immune systems and protect us from getting ill.

But how effective are supplements, and are we being miss-sold a quick-fix for good health?

The term vitamins and minerals sounds shrouded in mystery, but it simply refers to the nutrients that your body needs to function correctly, such as iron, calcium and vitamin C.

It might seem logical, then, that we should take supplements in order to strengthen our immune systems.

However, a widely-cited 2013 study into chronic conditions concluded that vitamin pills have virtually no long-term health benefits for well-nourished adults, and may even be harmful.

Read more

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...ements-a-waste-of-money-harmful-a6792266.html

Are vitamin supplements a waste of money?

As the temperature drops and coughs and colds spread, stores are filling up with vitamin tablets and adverts promising they will boost our immune systems and protect us from getting ill.  But how effective are supplements, and are we being...
    independent.co.uk

7. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Do You Need to Take Vitamins?

Vitamin and mineral supplements can be costly. Taking them regularly might make you feel like you’re leading a healthier lifestyle. But a number of research studies suggest that supplements aren’t always beneficial. Taking certain vitamin and mineral supplements may even do more harm than good.

For some people, vitamin and mineral supplements offer important health benefits. If you have certain health conditions or needs, your doctor may suggest adding a supplement to your daily routine. But people who take supplements as an “insurance policy” against poor eating habits might increase their risk of health problems.

So how do you know what’s right for you? The best way is to talk to your doctor before taking dietary supplements. If you’re already taking supplements, ask them if it’s a good choice to continue. On top of raising your risk of certain health problems, some supplements may interact with medications that you’re taking.

Read more

http://www.healthline.com/health/do-you-need-take-vitamins#Overview1

Do You Need to Take Vitamins?

A number of studies suggest that vitamin and mineral supplements aren’t always helpful — and some may even cause harm. Learn about the benefits and risks.
    healthline.com

8. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    I used to be prone to anemia when I was in my 20's. I would feel really tired and run down at times. My doctor's lab test would indicate that I was low on iron, and he would prescribe iron supplements. But, I learned how to beat it by eating broccoli and liver. I don't eat liver anymore, but I shore up on greens, so I don't have that problem anymore.

9. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Are you taking a multivitamin, or supplements?

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +14,455
    i take a full range of supplements several times a week...have been for years
    :10900:

IMG_0539.JPG