Black People : Remembering Ken Norton

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by CosmicMessenger, Sep 18, 2013.

1. CosmicMessenger

CosmicMessenger Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +945
    I was shocked and saddened to hear about the recent passing of Ken Norton.

I had the pleasure of working with him and he was a wonderful guy.

We worked together back in the day along with some Playboy Bunnies and other entertainers.

I will never forget him.

May he rest in peace.

2. CosmicMessenger

CosmicMessenger Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +945
    When I watched the video of George Foreman beatin' up Ken Norton, I would feel BAD for the brother.

Ken Norton was truly a nice guy.

Although I love George Foreman as well, I used to HATE watching the video of him beating Ken Norton.

Ken and I had some good times together and I didn't like watching anybody hurt the guy!

Well, I came to know a little about the man and I was blessed to know him.

Over 6 foot tall and muscles everywhere, but he was the nicest, most fun guy that you would want to meet.

We had a GREAT time during dinner, and the story about what happened, I will keep it secret.

My sincere condolences go out to his family.

3. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +599
    "CosmicMessenger, post: 831971, member: 41191" When I watched the video of George Foreman beatin' up Ken Norton, I would feel BAD for the brother.

Ken Norton was truly a nice guy.Although I love George Foreman as well, I used to HATE watching the video of him beating Ken Norton. Ken and I had some good times together and I didn't like watching anybody hurt the guy!

Well, I came to know a little about the man and I was blessed to know him.Over 6 foot tall and muscles everywhere, but he was the nicest, most fun guy that you would want to meet. We had a GREAT time during dinner, and the story about what happened, I will keep it secret.

My sincere condolences go out to his family.

As someone who after just 4 amateur fights looked at my face and decided that despite all the PREDATORS encouraging me/money/sponsorship etc that despite being a natural heavyweight [6 foot 4 inch tall at 240 lbs/now 270lbs] who could punch very hard, I wasn’t good enough at getting out of the way/boxing wasn’t going to be my route to fame [I had already qualified as a Mechanical Design Engineer before my first fight, thus I decided to stay in the slow/safer lane]; I greatly admire anyone who excels in this so heroically gladiatorial sport in general, Ken Norton and all of that generation specifically.

They created truly spectacular moments because quite often they both looked GREAT [even though Mohammed Ali had begun to slide/was literally destroyed by the combination of the thriller in Manila against Frazier/ended up passing blood for 3 weeks after he knocked out Foreman in the rumble in the jungle], it was usually just a question of who managed to edge it on the night.

Ken Norton and most of his contemporaries made ALL men of African ethnicity proud by virtue of both their skills, intelligence and integrity, were truly inspirational to my generation hence our sadness at the comparatively early departure of Norton, Frazier, Berbick, my friends/contemporaries here in the UK Tee Jay Akai, James Oyebola and Gary Mason [the only heavyweight I have EVER sparred with {when we were both novices} where it didn’t ever kick off/degenerate into a fight at some point] as it is never easy to come to terms with these so much larger than life characters no longer being around.

My commiserations to his friends and family even though I didn’t know him, his light brightened up our lives here in the UK too!

Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed;
    graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?