Black People : Remember When Black People ...

In the Spirit of Sankofa and the Truth!

I have no memory of not being able to eat anywhere I wanted to. My parents educated us on the civil rights struggle. I would ask my grandparents question about "those days" but they didn't always want to talk about it.

I do remember an incident in the 80's at a local Dairy Queen. We had just moved to a suburb that was mostly white. Matter of fact we were the third black family on our street. My mother ordered food from the Dairy Queen and the man was racist. We had to wait forever for our food to come and I think our food was just thrown together when we finally got it. I was 9 or 10 at the time but I remember that my mother was angry about this and we never ate there again. I still live near that Dairy Queen and I still don't eat there.
I still blows my mind sometimes that there are things that my grandparents were not allowed to do when they were my age. But they held their head high and went on with life. I often wonder how many in my generation would act if those things we take for granted were taken from us and we had to live as my grandparents/parents had to live in the 50's......

LadyLC,
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

lol@my Daughter...I still don't eat there...oooohh weeee, lol, I hear you sweetheart, for real.

I'd prefer not to remember.

"Burying heads in the sand will not make it go away.

And now we have young Black women like the one who was beaten at Cracker Barrel being "amazed" and "shocked" that this kind and depth of racism and hatred still exists.

My God. That young woman actually thought telling him that she was an Army Reservist would garner her some kind of respect and prevent him from assaulting her like that. (smh)

Our children need to know.

I would prefer that it never happened.

But it did and it still does.

I would hope that my son never has to go thru it

I hope not as well. But if he ever does, I hope he knows our history enough that he'll recognize it when it happens.

I personally have never been denied patronage to any establishment, but my parents have stores that they have shared with the children. It's important that we remember this, because as soon we forget it will happen again.

Sho nuff, Sister Bootzey.

I was very strongly affected by this part of Spike Lee's "4 Little Girls" documentary...

At the hospital families of the four girls waited to identify the tattered bodies. Maxine McNair remembers an encounter with a nurse who refused to allow her to identify and hold Denise. "I was outraged. Who did she think she was by trying to take that privilege away from me of identifying my own daughter," ...

http://clioseye.sfasu.edu/Archives/Student Reviews Archives/4girlschron.htm

As I watched Mrs. McNair recount that experience, I felt anger and rage as well.

That nurse's stance against her wasn't so much of "concern" about her viewing her child's condition but was indicative of the very mindset White women had towards Black women....even as the mother of a dead child, Mrs. McNair was still treated/viewed like a child herself...someone that the "good White folks" had to so-called "protect" and/or tell her what was "best" for her.

Some may think she just over-reacted to the nurse's "concern."

But, if one truly understands the breadth and scope of what our people were subjected to in those times, it paints a different picture when White men killed your child and then here is a White woman trying to prevent you from seeing/holding your dead child as if she has the final word on it because she's a White woman.

And if Mrs. McNair hadn't been so adamant, she wouldn't have seen her daughter that day.

Sorry I got long-winded but just to think about it burns me up! :whip:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back