Brother AACOOLDRE : RELIGULOUS: Movie review

Discussion in 'AACOOLDRE' started by AACOOLDRE, Apr 1, 2009.

1. AACOOLDRE

AACOOLDRE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +400
    RELIGULOUS
    Movie Review
    By Andre Austin

Comedian and talk show host Bill Maher has produced, directed and narrated his milestone movie Religulos. It’s so rare for books and films to breakthrough the mainstream media to criticize religion in general but Christianity in particular. For this reason I’m classifying it as a milestone.

The movie is semi-autobiographical because Bill details some of his religious background of his parents being Catholic and Jew. Bill went around the world talking to all the major religions to challenge them in why they believed in talking snakes, why they dismissed evolution, why they thought dinosaurs and people coexisted. Bill even questioned a priests at the Vatican if Jesus would approve of Popes building the Vatican structure in such a rich fashion (original Christian called themselves Poor). The priest answer no. Bill also noted that the bible doesn’t endorse Popes, I think its only Bishops and all were equal. It was not until 384AD that the Bishop of Rome called himself Pope for the first time. So I think Peter wasn’t a Pope or foundation of the church in Rome but James and Mary his spouse in Israel.

No one was safe in Bill’s documentary, he exposed Black ministers as overdressed pimps selling pie in the sky with young ladies having sexual fantasies with them. He went to trucker pit stops where they had make shift chapels. Bill I believe is agnostic because he declares that “I don’t know”. Bill doesn’t know if Jesus was a historical person either because so much pagan mythology was wrapped around Jesus life. It was only two years ago that I believed that Jesus existed after a documentary book and film, The Jesus Family Tomb, gave me the evidence. However I believe his life and story was falsified to turn him into a God figures like Horus, Osiris and Mithra.

Bill Maher proved that the story of Jesus parallels Horus of Egypt. Where Horus raises Osiris (Ausar) from the dead is the Bible’s Lazarus. Horus baptized by Anup who had his head chopped off by Herut is Herod. As a matter of fact you can find 200 similarities of Isis, Osiris, and Horus to the Bible. Bill made fun of a man who made an analogy of the trinity to water=ice, steam and liquid. Horus was born of a virgin. Bill thinks that the virgin story untrue because only two gospels report on it. The most likely case is that a young woman gave birth not a virgin. John the Baptist birth was a miracle from old parents and the original comparison to Jesus parents were that they were young.

It was a rare treat to get such a satisfaction from a religious movie that told it like it was and is. Every ten to 20 years we receive such a milestone gift to enlighten our minds get some laughs and jokes and open our eyes.

2. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +863
    I really appreciated that movie. And he's right, when you question people in a rational fashion regarding their religious views, they cannot handle it. If you want folks to get on board with your belief system, you have to have a better excuse than, "it's written here." It absolutely should shaw and prove to be right and exact.

Peace

3. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    I will have to go see this immediately!! Thanks for the review. I wonder what the christians have to say about it. They no doubt will find a way to either make it fit the bible or dismiss it all together so they can continue to believe.

4. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    this movie was hilarious

only the unprogrammed and progressive people can understand this movie

BILL IS NOT TELLING YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN A HIGHER POWER

he's saying why in this century are we still believing in kiddie stories

just to say you have faith in something because you believe it

is the easy way out as bill said

of course all of these people in the movie believe in "GOD" it's just

they way the manifest that "belief" is skewed IMO

the jesus park was the saddest

people believing in death as salvation (death of "jesus") and the fact

that the "story" of "jesus" is not even an original "story"

come on people

I BELIEVE VERY VERY VERY MUCH in a higher entity

i don't think religion helps you grow as much as it restrains you

http://www.tolueislam.com/Bazm/Joommal/ASK_3_1.htm

5. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +863
    I fully agree with this. Christianity is not a good faith for our people. It keeps us docile by not allowing us to ask questions and taking everything on face value. But church has been historically helpful; making our people feel important by giving them opportunities to shine that we would not have had, literacy programs, financial workshops, etc. But now all they pedal is the gospe of prosperity that has swrved no useful value. And people are starting to notice.....

Peace

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
  7. Precise Allah

Precise Allah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Peacemaker
    Ratings:
    +764
    Peace,

Thanks for bumping up this old thread.

When I take students through religious detox, this is one of the movies I have them watch first. Even better that a white dude did it. :wink:

Peace

8. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
  9. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    You are very welcomed!

I'm known to some as a "THREAD-OLOGIST!" ;) :lol:

However, I'm not surprised to read that you would use this movie in your quest to teach others "HOW TO THINK."
    :)

10. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    while I do think everyone should be analytical in what they believe in, there does come a certain point where none of us can really "prove" anything....that's why they are called beliefs.......I'm not completely sold on religion being something that hinders an individual, because there are far too many historical events that prove otherwise...particularly for Black folks, since we have "always" been religious people..............I have my beliefs and I view them as one view in an ocean full of other world views...as long as that belief isn't detrimental to you or society, then who am I to tell you that it is wrong? For example I don't believe Jesus was ressurected....I do believe that Paul was influenced by other belief systems during that time and fabricated the story of Jesus....with that being said I wasn't there and I really can't "prove" anything........you can believe what you want, but at the end of the day lets just make sure we can work together to build strong families, communities, and a better society.