Black Spirituality Religion : Religious Ultimatums - Convictions of Faith

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by UBNaturally, Jun 1, 2016.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Jan 15, 2014
    Within various religious canons, many will come across the apparent "ultimatum" of choosing or rejecting a particular action or command.

If one was to accept the command, one would be rewarded.
    If one was to reject the command, one would be eventually punished.

Looking at a few of these for example from some of the more recognizable religious doctrines.

In the Qur'an Sura 9, it seems one ultimatum would be to defeat any disbeliever that is not under a peaceful treaty with the believers.

Not necessarily an "ultimatum", but more of a provision to grant the right to defend by killing.
    Could be read either way, but just for balance needed to represent this as well.

Yet this does connect somewhat with Musa (Moses) as well during his command to smite the disbelieving (rebellious) "Israelites" in the encampments while in the wilderness (Exodus 32).

Then there is one that is highly observed and sometimes proclaimed to be one of the more exemplary writings of such convictions.

Abraham and Isaac:

Gen 22:2
    And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

For those that are not familiar with this story, Isaac was to be burnt upon an alter in honor of the God of Abraham.

This is presented as a prime example of someone completely devout and accepting of this faith, that they are willing to sacrifice, kill, or end the life of another in the context of it.

Isaac was eventually convinced to not go through with this act, which puts a more positive energy onto this story.​

But looking at lesser discussed one of similar context,

Jdg 11:30
    And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,

Jdg 11:31
    Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

Jephthah eventually went through with this offering/burnt sacrifice, of his daughter.​

But then one can also see an interesting ultimatum subtly suggested by Yeshua as well in the New Testament writings.

Mat 8:21
    And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

Mat 8:22
    But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

Basically telling the disciple... "follow me now, and forget about your deceased father"

Was Yeshua opposed to funeral ceremonies if this didn't have more context to it.

There are more that can be offered in other doctrines and writings, but these were simply an example of a few, both known and lesser recognized, tests and convictions of faith.

But the premise of this is, how much of these would be conceived to some as sane or rational, versus a personal issue that people deal with exclusively?

If someone today claimed "God told me to kill my son", who would suggest that the father should be allowed to follow the words of God?

Little boy abandoned on road between Lubbock and Saginaw

When does devotion turn into delusion, when does faith turn into zeal?