Omowale Jabali : Religion:A tool of domination or a means of Black Liberation?

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
What are your thoughts? I think that it depends on the cultural context in which religion is used or practiced so that is what I think not necessarily what I know!

There are 4 posts on Destee.com talking about the difference between opinion and facts

therefore what are the facts about religion and abolition in this nation?

What are the facts about the Black church and reconstruction?

what are the facts about the church and the civil rights movement?

What are the facts about the church and the Black Power Movement?

what are the facts about the church and the Afrocentric movement?

what are the facts about relgion and the Millon man March?

what are the facts about those lost on drugs and alcohol, abandoning their familes, and relgion? making their situation better or worse?

what are the facts about the church and mentoring programs?

what are the facts about the church and food pantries, voter registration drives, free health clinics, free Black history classes for children, providing venues for the grassroots community to hear black Nationalist, Pan Africanist, and African history scholars and activists speak?

what are the facts about religion and prison outreach?

what are the facts about religion and stop the violence initiatives?

what are the facts about religion and gang amelioration efforts?

what are the facts about fund raising for real African non white relief efforts for the Motherland and relgion?

What are the facts about Black leadership in the 60s and religion?

The question is posed, what are the facts because folks have seen so much opinion about religion on this website over the years, that it seems as though that seems to be some folks sole reason for posting here

I listened to Dr. Clarke's two minute piece on Elijah Muhammad's Islam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27y7H-M2MVs&feature=g-all), where he recognizes that Elijah Muhammad possibly could not have gotten even five hundred followers with the Oriental Islam.

It's interesting because Malcolm X, in discovering Oriental Islam, wished to rally us around that. There is a dispute.

Before my opinion, I should write that Marcus Garvey upheld his Christian faith strongly throughout his organization and he organized the most amount of Africans. Then of course there are others.

My opinion is that the largest impediment to African liberation is Occidentalism and Orientalism--our adaptations of the customs of Occidental (White) and Oriental (Asian) people. If Africans embrace Originalism--our own customs--then we can be liberated. As to 'religion,' we invented religion. We are a religious and spiritual people. The issue is that Orientals and Occidentals are neither religious nor spiritual, so their religions are anti-spiritual and embracing this harms Originals (Africans).

Remember, the Eurasians sat at our feet, learned the basics, then used that to put chains on our feet. To say 'religion' is a tool of domination necessarily says that we invented tools of domination against ourselves; an ahistorical sentiment. What's dominating about couvade?

What are your thoughts? I think that it depends on the cultural context in which religion is used or practiced so that is what I think not necessarily what I know!
I think its both. Christianity, for example, was used by Europeans to enslave Africans. On the hand, Christianity, in the form of Black Liberation Theology, contributed to the rise of African-Americans and the fall of the Jim Crow laws.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back