Black People : Reflections on Chiekh Anta Diop - Dr Mario Beatty

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by RAPTOR, Jun 20, 2014.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
  2. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    The modern falsification of history

Diop's work was in part motivated by the imperative to restore the historical consciousness and confidence of African people facing European colonial domination.

The role of history in the existence of a people is vital.....Without historical consciousness, people are not able to be called to their grand destiny.

Science was made a fraudulent accomplice to ideology in reproducing schemes always camouflaged by pretense of high scholarship and erudition.

Colonial historiography represented the conscious will of imperial powers to justify the colonial practices and instill cultural alienation as an arm of domination.

==========================

Good stuff!

3. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Diop says all scientific theories of the African past were utilitarian and pragmatic in nature. That is, they were formed to make the African believe he had no past and was responsible for nothing valuable and as a result, the African consequently abandons all aspirations for intellectual and political independence and reinforces his own oppression and subordination in thought and practice.

Now this is important!:

Teaching Africans that:

1. African people have always been outside of historical movements
    2. African people were cursed and damned
    3. African people have always been predestined to have tutors
    4. African people have invented nothing in history
    5. African people have contributed nothing to humanity which is why the West assigned itself a noble task of civilizing Africa.

And the "consciousness-raising" beat goes on! :thumbsup:

4. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    LOL! Glad you liked it, Raptor. Of course you know those are not MY words, but the words of the guy in the video. I just transcribed what I consider to not only salient, but dynamite reasoning in what he said.

And... since few will actually watch the 40 odd minute video.... and EVERYONE needs to.... I'll continue to revisit the video and bring out the good stuff. Next up should be what I'm always b'ing about - Egyptology, the :bs: "study" of Egypt as if it were not influenced by the rest of the continent it lies on. Think about it - ever heard of Englandology? What about Germanology? Or even the most culturally contributive country in Europe - Italianology? No. You cannot study ANY country on a continent without bringing in the contributions and influences of other countries on that same continent.

So, when I feel like it (lol), Egypt next up.

5. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    Yes Kadijah, I know. The 'break down' he gave, I dug as well...

6. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    from the video (so there'll be no misunderstanding)

THE BLACK/AFRICAN FOUNDATION OF EGYTIAN CIVILIZATION

Brother says Nubia had the same culture as lower Egypt - the same pottery, the same motifs, the same type of chieftainships, the same types of buildings, the same types of burials, many, many similarities. In the beginning, Egypt was successful in militarily overwhelming other African groups in the Nile Valley and incorporating them into Egypt, but was not successful in overwhelming Nubia to the south which remained a separate entity.

Diop says the beginnings of Egyptian civilization were African. The Egytians considered themselves African, not just in terms of art and motifs, but also in terms of the names they called themselves. He asserted that the origins of Egyptian civilization lay in Southern Egypt and to the south of Egypt. Nubia and the Sudan were the crossroads between southern Africa, the zone of the great lakes (of Africa, NOT the U.S. :lol: ), central Africa, western Africa, and the surrounding Mediterranean and Arabian regions, and it constituted the cradle of civilization which radiated by Egypt through the entire of Africa, the Mediterranean and the Asiatic near east.

7. Sami_RaMaati

Sami_RaMaati Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +244
    This is part 2:

8. Dreya

Dreya Well-Known Member MEMBER

Applied computer arts
    Ratings:
    +312
    50 mins is a bit much for me to watch as i have to pay by the mb for my net - so he may mention it in there - but reading up on nubia i discovered a lot of archelogists now think it surpassed egypt in its civilization - my fav characters have to be the warrior queens they had though - particularly the one who told alexander the great that if he dint get out of her hood she was gonna lop his head off and roll it down a hill - needless to say he skidaddled out of there

9. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    That would be the Candace of Ethiopia. ;)

10. Dreya

Dreya Well-Known Member MEMBER

Applied computer arts
    Ratings:
    +312
    yep - not sure which one of them though - i think there was like 7 or 8 over some time - if i remember right candace was the greek way of writin it down and the nubians themselves called the queens kandake oor somethin - im gonna have to go back and read some more to remind myself - seem to remember the romans got the same when they tried invading so in the end they just made peace with nubia