Black People : Reclaiming Your Name

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by ShemsiEnTehuti, Oct 9, 2006.

1. ShemsiEnTehuti

ShemsiEnTehuti Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +32
    Has anyone thought about reclaiming your name? That is, reclaiming the African name you were severed from during the most recent chapters of the African Maafa in the Americas.

I have been wrestling with this issue for some years now, thinking whether or not I should change my name to one with real meaning amongst a particular African tribe that I may identify with. It is how Malcolm X expressed how odd it would look to people if a Chinese man had the last name "Murphy" given it is Irish. Likewise, it must be just as supplanting for the African in America to carry the names of our former enslavers. For the most part, if your surname is Johnson, Williams, Brown, Hall, Booth, and so forth, then if you follow your family tree back to the plantation you will find that your ancestor was either bought by someone with that surname or it was the name of the plantation master (thus branding your ancestor with it like cattle).

Considering this, has anyone considered reclaiming an African name for yourself and your successive generations?

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Yeah I was thinking about that...

Even before viewing the Malcolm X interview, I was seeking to do that; it is a part of Self-Knowledge. That is why I go by either:

Kwabena
    Kobena
    Komla

...In which, all three have the same meaning behind them. Besides, although "Cedric" is rather significant, my name's Origin was based on, or derived from an "English playright," or so I learned. I prefer my Original Name, which I am sure is not European.

KD

3. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    RECLAIMING YOUR NAME...

well since my mother named me and i HONOR my mother i'll keep the name i have.

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    As for a first name, I have considered "Miriam" or "Ama" (I was born on a Saturday.

As for a surname/last name, I'd have to do some further research to choose something fitting.