Black History : Rebellious Slaves......

Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture

Which stories about our ancestors and us do you think will be displayed at the new NMAAHC? Will it reveal stories like the one Kadijah mentioned about the Black Seminoles or will it be the same ones that America is comfortable talking about?

Yes, it will be the same ones that America is comfortable talking about. :)

Btw, I received the same letter. After donating to the statute for MLK, Jr. and seeing that Chinese-looking monstrosity of a Strong Man supposed to represent the Man of Peace and Love.... I'm passing.

Although I never accused you of anything (have NO idea where you got that from), thanks for the mention of the obvious: The 2nd Seminole War is the war that the U.S. NEVER wants to talk about.

And from the brickbats to my even mentioning their name on this thread, the U.S. ain't the "only" one who does not EVER want to talk about it.

Although the narrator of OUR history in the video is white, she is essentially dead on with Black Seminole history. Fantastic condensation:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5E0j8xgxjTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The real issue and problem continues to be waiting on others to give our leaders props, be it the distant or recent past, whereas our own usual takes left out a lot too, i. e., since more than a handful of ex black slaves and/or a few white people helped to free some of our distant ancestors...

It seems and sounds some have been or are leaving out the history of my and other folks black indian resistance efforts, i. e., for the sake of presenting us as no different than those 'white is right' louses, some of us did and do battle with, even these days...

As I've said and written before, be it on the African continent or elsewhere, our ancestors were inclusive, not exclusive...

'Racial purity'?!?

Even the ancestors of the British and French were subjects of the Roman Empire...

Taking their so called fair maidens as wives etc. was common practice...

Let's reflect on the world's true history:

Let's don't rewrite it, to justify our own dreams and schemes...

:thinking:

Which Slave Sailed Himself to Freedom?
by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. | Originally posted on The Root
Just before dawn on May 13, 1862, Robert Smalls and a crew composed of fellow slaves, in the absence of the white captain and his two mates, slipped a cotton steamer off the dock, picked up family members at a rendezvous point, then slowly navigated their way through the harbor. Smalls, doubling as the captain, even donning the captain’s wide-brimmed straw hat to help to hide his face, responded with the proper coded signals at two Confederate checkpoints, including at Fort Sumter itself, and other defense positions. Cleared, Smalls sailed into the open seas. Once outside of Confederate waters, he had his crew raise a white flag and surrendered his ship to the blockading Union fleet.

In fewer than four hours, Robert Smalls had done something unimaginable: In the midst of the Civil War, this black male slave had commandeered a heavily armed Confederate ship and delivered its 17 black passengers (nine men, five women and three children) from slavery to freedom.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-ame...istory/which-slave-sailed-himself-to-freedom/

Eye agree. Many, not all black people were "enslaved" yet were never slaves...

My only quibble is with calling our ancestors 'slaves.' 'Slave' in the Western sense, depicts a being less than human. So personally I prefer the term 'enslaved' which really gets to the knitty-gritty. That is--we were never 'slaves,' we were solely 'enslaved.'

Otherwise, I thank you for the information.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back