African American History Culture : Rebellious Slaves......

Kadijah

Banned
Apr 7, 2013
Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture

Which stories about our ancestors and us do you think will be displayed at the new NMAAHC? Will it reveal stories like the one Kadijah mentioned about the Black Seminoles or will it be the same ones that America is comfortable talking about?

Yes, it will be the same ones that America is comfortable talking about. :)

Btw, I received the same letter. After donating to the statute for MLK, Jr. and seeing that Chinese-looking monstrosity of a Strong Man supposed to represent the Man of Peace and Love.... I'm passing.

Kadijah

Banned
Apr 7, 2013
Although I never accused you of anything (have NO idea where you got that from), thanks for the mention of the obvious: The 2nd Seminole War is the war that the U.S. NEVER wants to talk about.

And from the brickbats to my even mentioning their name on this thread, the U.S. ain't the "only" one who does not EVER want to talk about it.

Although the narrator of OUR history in the video is white, she is essentially dead on with Black Seminole history. Fantastic condensation:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5E0j8xgxjTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
The real issue and problem continues to be waiting on others to give our leaders props, be it the distant or recent past, whereas our own usual takes left out a lot too, i. e., since more than a handful of ex black slaves and/or a few white people helped to free some of our distant ancestors...

It seems and sounds some have been or are leaving out the history of my and other folks black indian resistance efforts, i. e., for the sake of presenting us as no different than those 'white is right' louses, some of us did and do battle with, even these days...

As I've said and written before, be it on the African continent or elsewhere, our ancestors were inclusive, not exclusive...

'Racial purity'?!?

Even the ancestors of the British and French were subjects of the Roman Empire...

Taking their so called fair maidens as wives etc. was common practice...

Let's reflect on the world's true history:

Let's don't rewrite it, to justify our own dreams and schemes...

:thinking:

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Which Slave Sailed Himself to Freedom?
by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. | Originally posted on The Root
Just before dawn on May 13, 1862, Robert Smalls and a crew composed of fellow slaves, in the absence of the white captain and his two mates, slipped a cotton steamer off the dock, picked up family members at a rendezvous point, then slowly navigated their way through the harbor. Smalls, doubling as the captain, even donning the captain’s wide-brimmed straw hat to help to hide his face, responded with the proper coded signals at two Confederate checkpoints, including at Fort Sumter itself, and other defense positions. Cleared, Smalls sailed into the open seas. Once outside of Confederate waters, he had his crew raise a white flag and surrendered his ship to the blockading Union fleet.

In fewer than four hours, Robert Smalls had done something unimaginable: In the midst of the Civil War, this black male slave had commandeered a heavily armed Confederate ship and delivered its 17 black passengers (nine men, five women and three children) from slavery to freedom.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-ame...istory/which-slave-sailed-himself-to-freedom/

Fine1952

The Age of Aquarius
PREMIUM MEMBER
Sep 27, 2005
USA
Occupation
Healthcare Provider
Eye agree. Many, not all black people were "enslaved" yet were never slaves...

My only quibble is with calling our ancestors 'slaves.' 'Slave' in the Western sense, depicts a being less than human. So personally I prefer the term 'enslaved' which really gets to the knitty-gritty. That is--we were never 'slaves,' we were solely 'enslaved.'

Otherwise, I thank you for the information.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ASHANTA Black Poetry : Mother I Hate YouThe Rebellious Daughter Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
ASHANTA Black Poetry : The Rebellious Son Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : 'My Nigerian great-grandfather sold slaves' African American History Culture 0
HODEE Black Entertainment : 2Pac - Black Cotton _ Why do we work like slaves sweatin' blades to an early grave Black Entertainment 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : 'The Slaves Dread New Year's Day the Worst': The Grim History of January 1 African American History Culture 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Harvard University sued over allegedly profiting from the earliest photos of American Slaves Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Perfection Black People Politics : Staged Freedom, Gimmicks & Parallels: 5 Arguments Showing How Blacks Are Sill Slaves Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Thomas Jefferson Owned Hundreds of Slaves—Now a Black Woman Will Run His Foundation African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Female slaves were forced to wear headwraps because white women were jealous Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Abraham Lincoln's Secret Visits to Slaves African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Mauritania : The abolitionist fighting to free Mauritania's slaves Mauritania 0
Destee African American History Culture : Is It Wrong to Mention Black People Owned Slaves? African American History Culture 15
dazania African American History Culture : Black Americans Were Never Slaves African American History Culture 38
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : The Ancestors Speak: A Conversation Between Former Slaves And Union General Sherman African American History Culture 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Bill O’Reilly says White House slaves ‘were well-fed and had decent lodgings’ Black People Politics 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Michelle Obama Keeps It Real: 'I Wake Up In a House Built By Slaves' Black People Open Forum 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : 'Dishonest' Book About Happy Slaves Pulled From Shelves Black Education / Schools 0
HODEE Black People : Textbook Company to Update Description of Slaves as ‘Workers’ After Criticism Black People Open Forum 3
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Slaves were fed like Pigs AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : DNA analysis traces African slaves back to their roots Science and Technology 15
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Hollywood’s Blacks: Servants, Slaves, Ghetto Moms and Thugs Black Entertainment 19
crwn Black People : Who Brought the Slaves to America? Black People Open Forum 4
1poetsought Black Poetry : Mental Slaves Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
HODEE Black People : The Dirty Truth Is... I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew Black People Open Forum 7
rapchild Ghana : Slaves Castles in Ghana, West Africa. Ghana 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Descendants of slaves hold out against coal mining Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : 234 years later, NH slaves are granted freedom Black People Open Forum 8
S Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Kanye West - New Slaves (Live on SNL) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
PurpleMoons Audio Video Web Conferencing : Kanye West Premieres "New Slaves" at Prada Fifth Ave. Audio Video Web Conferencing 13
cherryblossom Sierra Leone : Sierra Leone and the slaves who returned to Africa... Sierra Leone 7
F Africa : The Moors of North Africa and the White Slaves All Things Africa 17
ckoolbreez Black People : How Many Slaves Work 4 U? Black People Open Forum 5
Kemetstry Black People : How Many Slaves Came to the USA? Black People Open Forum 32
Destee Black People : African-American school superintendent accused of calling black staff 'slaves' Black People Open Forum 0
Knowledge Seed Black People Politics : Allen West: Obama wants us to "be his slaves" Black People Politics 5
Destee Science and Technology : Techno Slaves Science and Technology 1
ckoolbreez Black People Politics : Mitt Romney: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves Black People Politics 25
Destee Gun Ownership : Laws Designed to Disarm Slaves, Freedmen, and African-Americans Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Who Brought the Slaves to America? - Walter White Jr. - Full film Black People Open Forum 3
Keita Kenyatta Black People Politics : 'white' Slaves Used For 1860s Fundraiser Propaganda Black People Politics 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : All Black People In America Are Not Descended From Slaves Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Black People : Any one heard of "THE BRIGADE FOR PURGING SLAVES, BLACK SKIN" our tax dollars fund them!!!!!!! Black People Open Forum 22
OldSoul OldSoul : 21st-Century Slaves: How Corporations Exploit Prison Labor OldSoul 2
ManicRaider Black Spirituality Religion : Why in the world did slaves believe in the christian god? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 194
W Black People : African sex slaves in Sweden and Denmark Black People Open Forum 18
Amnat77 Black People : Slaves' Spiritual Talismans Found Under Greenhouse Black People Open Forum 1
Enki Black People : Blacks Make the Best Slaves. Black People Open Forum 13
Therious Black People : Stop Creating Slaves In Your Home! Black People Open Forum 81
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : 400 year slaves from 1555BC or 1555AD ?? AACOOLDRE 5
A Ghana : "Trokosi" Ghana's Slaves to the Gods: Ritual Servitude & Sexual Abuse Ghana 32