Black Entertainment : Reality TV Shows - a way to appease ?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Destee, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I've wondered about reality tv shows, if they are a way to appease the masses regarding that which we do not have ... like jobs, wealth, access to the finer things in life ... or whatever the show is presenting?

I have this theory, that if they show and allow us all these images of people working, getting paid, having their own tv program showcasing their lives, it will calm in us the fact that we don't have these things. We'll be relaxed and soothed to some degree, by simply watching others that do, in our leisure.

We'll be less likely to think it's a systemic problem, economic depravity, 'cause all we gotta do is look at the television ... and there are so many ... 'every day folk' ... with great jobs ... so as we try to figure out why we're unemployed and aint got a pot to pee in ... we can watch them as we ponder how to get like 'em ... for surely it must be us ... and not a system bent on keeping us down.

Whatcha think ... should we put this in the ... "another krazee moment" ... from Destee pile? :look:

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

These days we have to update the definition of 'cooning'. That's all i see when i see and or hear about these so called black 'reality shows'. Black people buck dancin' trying to show massa who the biggest fool is.

It literally turns my stomach especially, to hear about the way the woman act on these shows. But, surprisingly it's the woman who proudly announce that they can't wait to see what happens in the next episode because shaquita has a secret on tanjaniqua and tyrone that she can't wait to tell tyrone's 3rd baby mamma Launjere. :peeking:

3. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Quite honestly any "reality" program defined as viewing people allegedly doing what they do everyday in life does not appeal to me. I never got it and probably never will get it. And I use the word "allegedly" because all I see advertised is the drama, screamin', and idiotic and childish fightin'. Quite frankly Destee that ish doesn't calm me. lol

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

lol ... you are so funnee ... i'm here thinking you should go into comedy, but i know you're such a serious Brother, that problee won't fit you well ... but dang ... you are so funnee ... in addition ... i thunked of the other thread i started about remaining encouraged ... and found ... reading you ... laff'n at your funnee stuff ... encourages me ... my outlook was immediately brightened ... when i laffed ... :love:

yeah ... it's amazing to me too ... so many Sisters seem to be caught up in these shows, i don't get it ... but then, i don't watch them ... i don't see how watching them or anyone else's whole life, day by day, minute by minute, is gonna help me in mine. In fact, after sitting for hours watching theirs, much of mine would be gone forever!

But then too ... i don't do that "he cheated on me, i hate him, i'm leaving him, guess what he did today" stuff in the real world. I don't have any friends that bring that kind of stuff to me. I'd be look'n at 'em like they were krazee. It takes so much energy to become involved with folks lives at that level, and i just don't have it to give at this point. I'm challenged when my Daughter wants to talk to me about the daily going ons in her life, though i do force myself to hear her.

What's amazing to me too, is that it's not just "young" Sisters caught up in this rage, but old women like me! :eeek:

Krazee.

Love You ... and thanks for the encouragement ... :love:

Destee

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

Me either Brother Houserunner ... shoooo ... if somebody brought all of that kraziness to my life, the reality program would quickly turn into "First 48" ... :lol:

oh my gosh ... even here in the community you can see that ... i can't take that drama stuff ... not all up close in my life for real. I can take it in tiny doses, 'cause i do like watching Jerry Springer, i must admit, but i couldn't give lots of myself to that kind of energy ... i'd be more krazee than i already am!

Thanks for Sharing!

Love You!

Destee

6. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

Well, that would just make me Seriously Funny....:lol:

Nuttin' wrong wit dat.

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Reality television shows are just another way for some people to make money. It's a propaganda and brainwashing tool produced to further desensitize and confuse people. Modern day 'coonery' is right, Bro. info...21st century shucking and jiving...skinning and grinning.

If watching these shows evokes any type of emotional reaction in you, stop to recognize what that emotion is and ask yourself what made you feel that way. Laughter, anger, frustration, hatred, jealousy, lust...all from watching a television program that shows people acting the fool?

Granted, some people enjoy watching them but I have to be honest, I don't understand why. Maybe there is some type of subliminal messaging sent that makes them addictive to some people. Honestly, I try hard not to judge anyone that watches them, but whenever I hear someone mention them or ask me if I watch them, my stomach gets queasy.

8. Moon Child

Moon Child Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +279
    To chime on in, I find these shows to be offensive in nature as they tend to continue to stereotype individuals who are being shown on these shows. Since I am a black woman, I can only speak from that POV. We all know that not all black women act ignorant, are all out for the athlete or hip hop rapper! Not all black women are after a man for only their money willing to prostitute herself for his buck and not all black women like drama and glam make up! I have friends of "other" color and they watch these shows, subconsciously thinking that the majority of black women act, think and feel just like this. It's annoying.

What irritates me even more is when I SEE black women watch these shows to the point of letting it STOP their lives and they literally make a date with ignorant TV. There is no purpose to these shows, other than to drown one's intellect in watching black women fight over men who don't truly value who they are in an industry that promotes ignorant behaviors and perpetuates negative relating. Umph.

Lastly, let me say that many of the black women that I know who gravitate toward this kind of TV (forgive me not all, this is in general and from my experiences with "friends") is that their own lives begin to mirror the "ignorant" TV they watch. Drama is for days, the thought patterns mimic their favorite reality star, filled to the brim with the neck rolling, silver tongued, anger spouting venom that she saw on last weeks episode. Ugh. SmH

To me, it's just another way for the "man" to violate the image of blacks, specifically women and to put those that watch this garbage to "sleep" so that they are less aware of what's really going on in the world, to loose sight of what's important AND how to lesson her prospects of being able to maintain healthy vibrant relationships, and if that is done successfully, then there are no worries, because we will just stay dysfunctional and continue to wonder what the heck is going on?

9. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    garbage in garbage out....

one love
    khasm

10. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

As i think about it, these 'reality shows' are starting to have the same effect on the people as religion. For some, it is a religion. It controls their whole day re-designs their whole thought process about life and relationships.

So if 30's the new 20, then 'reality shows' are the new religion.