Black People : Reading History.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by sekou kasimu, Sep 18, 2016.

1. sekou kasimu

sekou kasimu PanAfrikanist Revolutionary MEMBER

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +864
    Why is it so hard to get our people to read our history?

2. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    FOR SOME, it's hard looking back on all the S _ _ T we've had to go through, just to get to where we are. THEY don't see how reliving the past is going to help them get beyond the pain of it.
    FOR OTHERS, those who think we've reached the mountain top, they don't see the need to rehash S _ _ T that's already been hashed out. FOR THEM, we have conquered the beast, and the beast is down. Of course, we know they're deluding themselves, but people have become content...in their assessment of the enemy...and isn't interested in what others have to say. PLUS, there isn't a lot of people reading, these days (about anything of substance).
    FOR THE ACTIVISTS, of course, we're going to educate ourselves on ALL THINGS African...and try to teach our brothers and sisters knowledge of our past...so that we don't allow ourselves to fall into the traps our forefathers/mothers did, by repeating the mistakes of the past. ALSO, to know thy enemy.

3. sekou kasimu

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +864
    I think you've answered my question without knowing it. People who refuse to study our history think that our history started in slavery. Commonsense dictates that that is obviously not the case, since we were the first people to walk the face of the earth!!!! Dr. John Henrik Clarke taught that the most damaging thing that slavery and colonization did to us, was take away our knowledge of what we were before foreign contact. It stands to reason that in order to get to the root of the problem , we must start the history lesson at that point in time when we were the only people in the world. A time when we built enduring societies that lasted for thousands of years that had no jails or prisons, or words in their language that meant jail or prison. Societies in which there was an equal distribution of wealth, and which had no rich or poor people. You mean there are some who actually believe we have "conquered the beast"? Where is the evidence of which you speak? Then explain the murders of Freddie Gray, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice, Eric Gardner, Jordon Davis, Michael Brown, Philando Castile, Sanda Bland etc..

4. sekou kasimu

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +864

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    There is the answer to the OP.

Some people understand that in order to move forward to learn how you got where you are, we have to study the past. Some people don't care to learn from the past, or want any connection to it. They think it's important to only focus on the here and now. And maybe that's what they came here to do; it's there life lesson. But, I believe, if they keep living and as they mature, their perspective will change and they will think like the first group and want to know their history--their true history and not what they've been taught by the ruling class.

If you think about it--people are walking history. Within us live our ancestors and their stories. Many of us have a thirst for the knowledge of our ancestors and seek information to learn where we come from and who we are. To us, it enriches our lives and we think it's important to pass this information on to our children and that be our legacy to them. Our lives may start from the moment we are born and take our first breath, but our history starts long before that. The curious and "truth" seekers understand that and ask questions and search for the answers along the way.

Arianne, you appear to be taking a very personal and angry view of the topic. It seems like what you are personally witnessing has a deep impact on you. I'm sorry you're experiencing this type of intercultural mix. But try not to let it affect you this way because it is unhealthy. Let me suggest that you don't hate the people, but dislike the system of oppression that causes people to behave that way. We are all victims of oppression to some degree but what separates us is how we think about it and allow it to affect us. Understanding the psychology of oppression and how it impacts people might shed a different light on the subject for you. The day-to-day struggle for many is like crabs in a bucket. For others who have learned how to not let it stick to them, just brush it off and keep moving forward.

Peace :heart:

6. crwn

crwn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +458
    Has it ever occurred to you that many of them simply can't read or are reading at a basic level. reading or writing as much as a paragraph will make their lives much too complicated.

7. crwn

crwn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +458
    If these people are mostly white, do you believe the average black kid is any better?

8. sekou kasimu

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +864
    I volunteer in the public school system and I'am very much aware of the illiteracy rate among our people, especially the young. I also spend a great deal of time at the libraries in Baltimore and have observed the reading habits of a lot of our people. Notice that I specified reading OUR HISTORY! I see folks reading a lot of BS like Street Lit, Hip Hop, Sports, and Fiction. None of which creates consciousness. What do you read?

9. sekou kasimu

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +864
    Do you know what it means to be brainwashed and indoctrinated? You should! Look those two words up in the dictionary asap!!! We have been brainwashed and indoctrinated to believe that we are destined to be the servants of foreigners, especially whites. And that money and material things will be our consolation prize for being a bunch of modern day slaves!!!

10. DjajiPrime

DjajiPrime Active Member MEMBER

Australia
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Good day, I don't think it has to do with our people specifically, but more so with the way we're conditioned to consume history. From day one we're told that history is boring and irrelevant, it is deliberately made unattractive, thereby keeping people uneducated. A 30 sec clip of someone getting beat up, is seen as being more entertaining, than say a 5 minute video on history. It has more to do with societal conditioning, which is used to keep masses poor, uneducated, and divided.