AACOOLDRE

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 26, 2001
Michigan
Occupation
Teacher
REACTIONARY SUICIDE

By Andre Austin

I was thinking of Sandra Bland when I re-read the sad essay of Clarence Page’s essay Survivors ‘Guilt about a woman named Leanita who took her own life and allowed the whiteman to win and have all the fun.

“Those who take their own lives in response to overwhelming oppressive social conditions commit “Reactionary suicide” Black Panther leader Huey P. Newton wrote in Revolutionary Suicide, a chic book among the radicals of my youth. Newton was quite taken with the French social scientist Emile Durkheim who attributed suicide to the social environment. By contrast, said Newton, “Revolutionary suicide” is committed in the course of overthrowing those social conditions. “Revolutionary suicide does not mean that I and my comrades have a death wish”, he wrote. “It means just the opposite. We have such a strong desire to live with hope and dignity that existence without them is impossible”.-(see Showing My Color By Clarence Page p.65)