Reaching out to nicotine dependent loved ones

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by John R. Polito, May 5, 2003.

1. John R. Polito

John R. Polito New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Destee.com readers and members with nicotine dependent friends or loved ones. Are you forced to watch as your loved one destroys a bit more of their body's ability to receive and transport life giving oxygen with each new puff? I write in hope that you might use a bit of the below info to reach out and help save the life of that very very special person.

There are over one billion comfortable ex-smokers alive on earth today and it was dreams and desires, not strength or willpower, that allowed each to break nicotine's grip upon their brain's reward pathways. What self-taught nicotine lessons did most eventually learn, that your loved one continues to miss?

What will your loved one actually learn from the next quick fix magic cure that fails to perform as promised? What could they possibly learn from a nicotine lozenge, an adhesive nicotine patch, nicotine gum, Zyban, Wellbutrin, hypnosis and/or acupuncture? Who will they next hand their hard earned money and after it’s gone what learning will have transpired?

Can you briefly study cessation yourself and determine their level of understanding? Let’s use the nicotine patch as an example. Just how effective do they think it really is in helping smokers quit? The following link is to a study published in March 2003 that combined the results of all over-the-counter nicotine patch studies to date and concludes that only 7% of patch users were still not smoking at six-months. Are 93% odds of early relapse critical decision making information?

http://tc.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/12/1/21#88

What is the chemical relationship between nicotine and caffeine? Why will the caffeine user's blood serum caffeine level skyrocket to 203% of pre-quitting baseline within 24 hours of ending all nicotine use? How does this factor play a destructive role in making quitting seem almost impossible for heavy caffeine users, and how is it easily corrected without giving up caffeine?

What is the relationship between nicotine and adrenaline? Why can many nicotine addicts skip breakfast and lunch for their entire smoking life and yet almost never sense true hunger? How can this interaction result in wild blood-sugar swing symptoms that can make quitting seem almost impossible for those skipping meals, and how do they correct it without adding lots of extra pounds?

Above are just two examples - among hundreds and hundreds - of nicotine dependency/cessation factors that when pieced together can make your loved one taking back control of their brain's dopamine reward pathways far easier than they ever imagined possible. But when did they take the time to read the instructions that came with their addiction?

My name is John and I, along with scores of others, help facilitate nicotine cessation at one of the internet's growing array of free education and group support forums. In the lower right corner at WhyQuit.com - or http://WhyQuit.org - you'll see a link to a directory of all the major "FREE" online quit smoking forums. If any site asks for any money please drop us a line and we'll have their link immediately removed.

Why would any nicotine dependent human worry about SARS, or even wearing seatbelts for that matter, when there is a very high likelihood (greater than 50%) that their chemical dependency will in the end deprive them of roughly 5,000 sunrises, just as it did to over 4,000,000 during the past twelve months. If it does, it will have done so because they never realized or failed to accept that they knew almost nothing about their addiction or the process of chemical and psychological recovery.

You may want to build a skyscraper but if you don't know how it can prove rather challenging. Knowledge is power!

Oh, there's one very important thing you need to know in trying to help. We nicotine addicts have a love/hate relationship with our drug and will resist to our death "all" offers of help. You see, it's every chemical slaves dream to quit for our own reasons, in our own time, on our own terms, in our own way, and as a result of our own planning, intelligence and follow-through! You must understand that we cannot quit for you, our doctor or because of fear. It must be for us!

Thus, the secret to helping us is in not letting us know that you have in fact played a major role in our dream. The addict's mind must believe that it found the key to the cell that will allow is to trade places with and arrest our dependency.

So how can you be involved in our dependency education without us realizing that you had a big hand in things? It isn't easy. In fact doing so and keeping it secret for life (which you may need to do in order to avoid the risk of "lost dream" relapse) is a tremendous challenge. But, you love us and that love will find a loving way to connect. I wish you well.

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John R. Polito

2. John R. Polito

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jamuma. I can think of many many of different ways that folks say that they quit smoking but in the end they all boil down to giving up just one chemical - nicotine! If nicotine's slaves could only feel for a few moments the truth that you and I share, how comfortable our chemical free life really is, they would immediately arrest their dependency! But they can't imagine what they'd feel like so that next fix falsely appears easier.

Baby steps ... freedom just one day at a time! The next few minutes will always be doable!

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    welcome within to destee's come share thoughts like this in
    our chat at www.************ these are things we need to
    know and seek true freedom
    Thank u for sharing this blessed information upon us all
    $R

4. John R. Polito

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Rich but I'm afraid my computer is very very and can't do all that fancy stuff ; )

5. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I have an old one ......what seem to be the problem
    maybe i can help or advised the matter to get the help
    so you can enjoy chat is that it.............let me know!

Thanks again for the information

6. ifasehun

ifasehun Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
  7. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    ur on point XXPANTHAXX