Black Entertainment : Raven-Symoné: Don't Label Me 'Gay' Or 'African-American'

I agree with this, but what if this number keeps growing? You can one day have a sizable group that will oppose legitimate black causes at every turn, and from my experience, people like this are unable to see the black perspective when it comes to things such as the Brown situation.

Should that happen, be prepared to fight'em.
But for now those who are of the same mind and situation as
young raven, chalk them up as casualties of the war on black people.

Should they show of up to some kind of black/afrikan
family convention in your town/region, politely ask them
to leave since 'they aren't black', right?

One could only imagine what conversation and outrage the "Gay" websites are having about her not claiming the "Gay" label, akin to how the "Black" websites would have issue with the latter parts of this mini interview.

Just an observation

But then again, she didn't relabel the "Gay" term as she attempted to relabel the "African-American" term, which I can see why she can be confused by the term to begin with.

Oprah seemed more concerned (artificially) about the "African-American" label than the "Gay" label, and coming from Oprah that's a bit at odds given her typical viewing audience.

Typically "White" and "Gay"
20110421-tows-audience-members-3-300x205.jpg

But back to the context, are these "Africans", "Americans" or "African-Americans"?

Raven Pearman aka Raven "Symone" - Born in Georgia US of A Inc.
968full-raven--symon%C3%A9.jpg

Nnamdi Asomugha - Born in Louisiana US of A Inc. to Nigerian parents
Nnamdi-Asomugha-Kerry-Washington-expecting-first-child.jpg

Charlize Theron - Born in South Africa
charlize-theron-48a.jpg

Does the "birthplace" allow for the claim of "Nationality", or what does "African-American" imply?

"Don't call me black, don't call me colored, I am African-American!"

Consider or imagine the NAACP changing their moniker for this reason... let's see:

• NAAAAP - National Association for the Advancement of African American People

Now this doesn't look right, not at all, and we know the NAACP probably considered it.
But the backlash and controversy from those that don't like the term "Colored People" would have been a historical event. Such confusion in the labels we hold onto.

Welcome to the "NEW WORLD"

tayo-mlk-i-have-a-dream.jpg

Assimilation is a novel idea, until it occurs.

On a sidenote:

article-2212682-1557D5D9000005DC-574_634x456.jpg

article-2212682-1557D603000005DC-832_306x405.jpg

article-0-1328029F000005DC-913_468x658.jpg

Stay Woke
I've read you. Not sure where you are coming down on all this, so
what are we to "stay woke" about?

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing.

What is your opinion on why some of us (I hope it stays at the level) want to be anything except what they are? Is it the schooling, environment, or like you said, following what someone else has said (Cosby). Don't they know how the rest of the world see's them? IMO, they are only fooling themselves when they take this position. Because guess what, there are folks that hate Americans.

Peace!

One could only imagine what conversation and outrage the "Gay" websites are having about her not claiming the "Gay" label, akin to how the "Black" websites would have issue with the latter parts of this mini interview.

Just an observation

Seems like she is confused then. It's like the men that live the DL lifestyle but say that they are not gay.

Peace!

Should that happen, be prepared to fight'em.
But for now those who are of the same mind and situation as
young raven, chalk them up as casualties of the war on black people.

Should they show of up to some kind of black/afrikan
family convention in your town/region, politely ask them
to leave since 'they aren't black', right?

I know this is stupid to say but here it goes....

Why should we have to fight them? They should see themselves as black in spite of their views about race. Blacks have to strong in the mind because if they are not, they buy into the white way of thinking and this is the end result. You and I bump heads at times...but in the end, I'm standing with you because we are the same. Why would I want to oppose something that is going to help you out?

Peace!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back