Black Spirituality Religion : Rastafari

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by carsonh, Sep 25, 2008.

1. carsonh

carsonh Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student, volunteer (not really a "job" i
    Ratings:
    +18
    So I was wondering what the family thinks about Rastafari? What do you think about the trod, what're your opinions about HIM? And what do you think is the role of Rastafari in the modern western world?

2. MysteryDoors

MysteryDoors Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    The Rastafari movement (also known as Rastafari, Rastafarianism or simply Rasta) is a monotheistic, Abrahamic, new religious movement that accepts both Jesus Christ and Haile Selassie I, the former Emperor of Ethiopia, as incarnations of God, called Jah or Jah Rastafari. Haile Selaisse is also seen as part of the Holy Trinity and as the returned messiah promised in the Bible.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastafari

Haile Selassie I
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haile_Selassie_I_of_Ethiopia

Bob Marley & The Wailers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfTcmt2GbVQ

3. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Rasta is cool. Its a home grown religion with a revolutionary undertone.

4. carsonh

Ratings:
    +18
    Well ini know rasta who do not refer to Rastafari as a religion but more as a way of life. And ini personally do not like to refer to it as a religion but as a way of life, because there is so much more to rasta than "religious" things. So ini would refer to it not as a "home grown religion with relolutionaty undertones", but more as a way of life in the West, relolutionary in ideology and operation. One of the Afrikan rennaisance movements in the West.

But yes rasta is "cool" :)

Bless.

5. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
    For most people, religion is a way if life. I never understood the "ini" thing, so could you explain what that means?

6. tyab14

tyab14 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +78
    Shout outs to Haile Selassie and the g-o-d Bob Marley. I love all the different variations that are people have, just being creative creative with it. I like Rastafari. I remember I spoke to a Rasta elder and he was breaking down the esoteric side of Rastafari and how important it was in the scheme of things, the history and everything.

What you think carsonh, are you a rasta?

7. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +863
    I think its very interesting that Rastafarianism came about around the same time as Elijah Muhammed was coming into knowledge of self. InI don't think that level of synchronicity could be a coincidence.

8. carsonh

Ratings:
    +18

yes king i and i rastafari. The history and the relevance of Rastfari as an ideology and as a movement is very important to the scheme of things. The elder is obviously the better I to talk to you about the livity and its relevace to the grand design, but either way it can not be over looked. Look at something as simple as reggae music...global sclae and reach positive words and energy going to the people, Rastafari helps make that possible. How many people know of Bob Marley and the consciousness of his lyrics? too many to count. Talk to the elder again if you can.

9. carsonh

Ratings:
    +18
    You have heard rastas referring to themselves and one another as I and I, well ini or InI is just I and I in some short internet spelling.

nah understand me, some people go to church on a sunday or a saturday, which ever their sabbath falls upon, but that is it for their 'spiritual' life. Religion is, to me, the man made organisation of spirituality and as i see it the organisation part has surpassed the spirituality part of it and is causing a lot of robot like religious people to be in the world but there is a deficieny of spirituality and spiritual living going on.

Like example Sunday morning: church, Tuesday:Bible study, Wednesday:Mid week service, Friday:Chior practice (repeat till death) people acting like robots but the spiritual connections with The Almighty are lacking.
    That to me is the religious structure taking control to the point where the spiritual aspect is overlooked. When you are more concerned with maintaining a regimented system of worship above a personal connection you have lost sight of your spiritual self and need to reconnect, and this is not InI as a rasta speaking about rasta things but as a person genuinely concerned with the spiritual state of mankind., without regard for religious calling: Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Rastafari, etc.

10. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
    carsonh, what Mansion of Rastafari are you a member of?