Black Spirituality Religion : Rastafari

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Zulile, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    I would like to know what the viewpoints are on the Rastafari as a religious group. Emotionally, this is very close to me, but whether it has merit or not on the religious scale, I have no idea. In fact, I have little knowledge of their beliefs and would appreciate hearing from those who do.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Zacharias

Zacharias Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Istanjaay Ila Antuk Zulile

What are actually are you looking for ?

3. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    "Istanjaay Ila Antuk" I'd love a translation for that :)

My questions are clearly uninformed, so please bear with me:

Can Rasta be Christian?
    Do Rasta follow a particular doctrine - is there a written word/book to guide them?
    I know a little about JAH, and Selasie but fail to see where it fits together in terms of a religious group.

IS Rastafari a religion? If not.. what is it then?

Of course - i have read here and there - but it is rather contradictory at times - and even more so when I speak to the few Rasta I know. For example - Rasta are vegetarians, or vegans? Should they wear leather, or not?

Many say there are many "fake" Rasta out there preaching the word.. but fake compared to.. what?

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Must Reading on this topic

KEBRA NAGAST:THE LOST BIBLE OF RASTAFARIAN WISDOM AND FAITH FROM ETHIOPIA.

Check amazon.com or any major bookstore such as Barnes and Nobles. Some stores specializing in Black books such as Eso Wan in los angeles. I cannot discuss specifics in these threads anymore but if you check the threads search KEBRA NAGAST, which I authored. Discussion here often leads to disruption so Im just referencing the posts.

Peace.

5. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    THE HOLY PIBY

Another must read.
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/afr/piby/index.htm

Rastafarian developed from the Afro Athlican Constructive Church founded by Robert A. Rogers. There was a later association with Ras Tafari Makonnen (Haile Selassie) as the "Black Messiah" or "Yah").

6. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
  7. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Thank you very much, Brother O - I will check out your links and threads - and be in touch.

much appreciated!

8. Onyemobi

Onyemobi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Artist
    Ratings:
    +223
    I respect them and their faith alot.

9. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    Kebra Nagast

In my days of studying Rastafarian the Kebra Nagast was their primary doctrine, which lead to the Old Testament through Solomon and the Queen of Sheba.

I recently was on a message board for Rasta and these new modern beliefs of the Rasta are so twisted that they curse the Old Testament and have now joined the Black Revolution to destroy the Old Testament. I don’t know if these were fake Rastafarians pretending so they could infiltrate Rastafarianism or if they were the real thing. In my examination they were fake Rastafarians because they could not explain cursing the Old Testament and say the white man wrote them but yet following the Kebra Nagast that validates the Old Testament link to Ethiopia through King Menyelek.

These younger generations of hocus-pocus spiritualist are really confounding several ancient Africanized religions and theologies because all they are interested in is money and getting followers so they can take their money. As for adhering to original ancient African doctrine I think they could care less about them.

I would advise you read and study the Kebra Nagast instead of asking about Rastafarianism on the Internet.

The Kebra Nagast written by E.A. Wallis Budge is pretty good. ISBN 1-59605-025-X

Peace and Love and Good luck on your spiritual path.

10. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Brother Music Producer

This is why I earlier recommended the Kebra Nagast.

This just proves how backwards things have become. One reason I have not toally dismissed the OLD Testament is exactly for this Reason.

The interesting thing about the Iytiopic version is that the emphasis is not on the lineage to King Solomon, but to Queen Makeda. And though it was later used by the Negusa to proclaim right to entitlement based on the "Solomonic Line", it actually was used also by groups of Rulers known as the Kandakes, and later the Yudiths. In fact, this is the same as the Biblical Judith.

Furthermore, a long line of Negusa were were from SHOA. The OT is the ONLY sacred-text that I have read that makes any mention of it.

The most irresponsible aspect of modern "Ras Tafari"-ianism is not recognizing the Ras Tafari himself was the LAST of a line of BLACK CHRISTIAN MONARCHS.

How can one separate the Man from the Spiritual and Family TREE from which he was birthed.

For over the past 1,600 years Iytiopia has remains, largely a BLACK CHRISTIAN NATION, since the time of King Ezana.

How can Rasta proclaim LASTA to "Stretch forth your Hands" and not expect to be recieved by Black folks singing Tawahedo Liturgy!