Black Entertainment : Rappers in Skirts

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Bootzey, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +863
    Peace Y'all,

Contrary to popular belief, I do check in with y'all. I just don't log in. Y'all have an app yet for android?

I don't remember seeing this topic when it was popular. So I decided to build with y'all now that the hate has passed...

Despite the arguments pro and con... Kanye was wearing a dress! And when he was clowned publicly by Lord Jamar, folks defended that look.

How do y'all see this?

Peace

http://www.vice.com/read/kanye-west-in-a-kilt-has-lord-jamar-so-hard-right-now

2. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,318
    Hmm, I don't see a problem with a kilt on a man, if worn accordingly; that is, not purposely trying to be feminine. Though many believe so, things such as kilts were not simply just for women, but men as well.

It's just like pants; they were not just made for men, but for both genders, with certain parts to each(skirts or pants) that differentiated whether the piece of clothing was feminine, to be worn by woman, or masculine, to be word by man.

Now these days, people only see skirt as being a woman's deal and a man showing great femininity for wearing it, but that's only so when a man puts on a skirt specifically made for a woman.

In Kanye's case(which I'm just now hearing about; I don't follow this stuff), it's leather it seems, worn with pants which I don't see as particularly bad, so long as he's covered and not flashing anything below.:D

3. Bootzey

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +863
    So your cool with a non scottish man misappropriating scotch culture?

Seriously... Your cool with a man wearing a dress/skirt????

4. Angela22

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,318
    LOL, gurl. :lol:

I'm saying, kilts and skirts wasn't just Scottish. I believe even the Egyptians, that is the men, wore a type of skirt in the hot region they lived in. But nowadays, skirts, kilts, pants, leggings, (or whatever the clothing) isn't worn for what region you're in, but worn for fashion, for the most part. And since kilts and skirts aren't necessarily feminine on their own, but need to have feminine parts to them to show so, I believe it is fine for a man to wear a kilt or skirt anywhere he lives or any lineage he comes from, yes. But it HAS to be one made specifically for a man, not anything like a mini skirt or something.

However, I do prefer men to wear pants, which is why I'm happy he did wear something underneath it; I'm not used to seeing so much of a man's legs. :confused:

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    we had it long before the scotts…..

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :11100: present day rappers gettin screwed by the white man…..they might as well dress the part

7. Bootzey

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +863
    Y'all are funny.

I guess my issue is, for those that have read the link, is that Kanye wore a skirt and got called out. THEY WAY RAPPERS CALL EACH OTHER OUT. And Lord Jamar is now being accused of being homophobic.

Skirts on dudes ain't hip hop. And in this present history or Koran, Menfolks don't wear skirts. I don't care who did what in years past.

Peace

8. Angela22

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,318
    Well, I guess it should have been expected in the rap game? Don't see how that makes anyone homophobic, but makes him more doing what people expect.

And many women are told not to wear pants because some believe it shows forth masculinity, even when the pants are clearly feminine. They could be pink pants and bedazzled with "I'm so girly", but some still think it's inappropriate. But pants aren't a man's clothing, and neither are skirts for women; but they are worn majorly by women, so now people have a hard time disassociating.

9. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    lord jamar was right on point with his comments....

on a side note...i don't even claim kanye anymore even though he's from the crib...

one love
    khasm

10. Thelma Jackson-Smith

Thelma Jackson-Smith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +161
    Rap is not the best medium for expressing ourselves.

It promotes ignorance and bad behavior. And the people distributing it are not even married to black women. Many of them are not even straight.

The rap I support is either Christian or like "Dangerous Minds" where positive messages are being enforced.

If you listen to evil lyrics, you're going to live in evil.