Black People : Rappers' Glorification of Pimps Deserves Disdain...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Aqil, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    This fall, not too long after kids go back to school, a new animated movie will appear in theaters across the country. It is the latest in a genre of films that use the voices of well-known actors to bring life to a series of drawings.

Labeled a comedy, this movie is nothing to laugh about. It is the story of a 9-year-old pimp. That's right, I said pimp — as in one of those degenerates who peddle female flesh for a living. "Lil' Pimp," as this film is called, is the cinematic manifestation of a pop-cultural attempt to glamorize this repugnant lifestyle.

In the twisted world of this movie's story line, the young pimp is a good guy, and the mayor of its imaginary city is sleazy. Not surprisingly, the voices of several of the characters belong to some of rap music's raunchiest acts.

Rap music has a love affair with pimps. And it is the broad appeal of rap artists who glorify pimping that has likely convinced Hollywood that there's a profit to be made in a movie about a pre-pubescence boy "who hustles his ho's around the neighborhood."

For years, rap artists have spiked their salacious lyrics with talk of these bottom feeders.

But recently some have gone from talking about pimps to acting like them. In their latest video — titled P.I.M.P. — rappers 50 Cent and Snoop Dogg prance before the camera in the flashy, gaudy attire of a pimp.

Their video is just the latest in what has become a steady stream of rap songs that celebrate pimps as hot-dressing, slick-talking, women-running men and ignore both the cruelty and criminality of the profession...

USA Today's Dwayne Wickham's article focuses on a huge problem in our community. Read the entire article at:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/columnist/wickham/2003-08-04-wickham_x.htm

2. DreamFunk

DreamFunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    SAD...:madd:....pimps are nothing but scum....they are the epitome of modern day Uncle Toms....

3. DreamFunk

DreamFunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    ....and also we all have to understand that these rappers that glorify ignorance are nuting but pawns....they dont own their own music....the fact that you may see a black face thats grinning from ear to ear in front of the camera, or with 'CEO' behind their names means nothing....most are still on the payroll of some rich white dude in a suit and tie that cares nothing about the welfare of the impressionalbe and clay-minded listeners....

...there are PLENTY of productive and non-ignorant artists out there....but it is detrimental to the ruling class for the subordinate class to be anything but ignorant....so unless they are righteous people, why else would they back anything meant for us except for ignorant destructive food....

4. Alkebulantaazar

Alkebulantaazar Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator mother of 7
    Ratings:
    +4

But recently some have gone from talking about pimps to acting like them. In their latest video — titled P.I.M.P. — rappers 50 Cent and Snoop Dogg prance before the camera in the flashy, gaudy attire of a pimp.

Their video is just the latest in what has become a steady stream of rap songs that celebrate pimps as hot-dressing, slick-talking, women-running men and ignore both the cruelty and criminality of the profession...

USA Today's Dwayne Wickham's article focuses on a huge problem in our community. Read the entire article at:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/columnist/wickham/2003-08-04-wickham_x.htm [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree my brother because this is another sick attempt by our so called progressive rappers to make money while unknowingly being used by euro promoters. I dislike everything that comes out of the mouths of these type of brothers because it is the young sistern who always and unequvicably get caught up.

Nonsense talking, wreckless bad mothing and disrespectful jaw flapping is something that i would love to boycott.!!

5. LostInThought

LostInThought Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I Can't STAND 50 Cent!!

To me he represents everything that is wrong with the rap industry of today -

An attitude that says,

"I'm totally ignorant, and proud of it!

- or the ever popular -

"Keeping it REAL!"

Yeah, like Chris Rock said,
    Real Dumb.

Peace

6. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    its a shame that so many talented individuals have been blinded by the green and seem to forget the fact that a PIMP is a person of low character who feeds off the misfortunes of others....white hollywood has promoted the use of this type of character to portray us in a negative light, but also to present a lifestyle that can be attained even in the ghetto.....the thing that kills me is that artist like 50 cents actually are aware of the social/economic ills destroying black america yet he choses to convey a totally different message in his music, i guess he is another individual who worships the almighty dollar and refuses to be responsible for the type of music he is putting out there...hip hop once was synonomous with the black struggle and now rap music is only strengthening that struggle....

7. im_the_truth

im_the_truth Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    :)

I'ma say something many won't agree with but so what, I don't really dislike the pimp. I dislike the fact that women run to them. A pimp is similar to drug (now really the same) if you use them you will hurt yourself. Pimps aren't like gangs bangas and stuff like that there is no force to be with one so it is all on to female with runs to them or is convinced by them.

8. Hesaid

Hesaid Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Why do we always miss the point?

If you look at how Everyones posted
    from beginning to END,its as if
    everyone feels they need to comment just
    for the sake of it yet in the end we have the same Da..n situation and
    100(useful)meg of chit chat & bikkering.
    I pray for the day we can take the content examine the authenticity & each individual
    air our views on HOW TO REPEL IT.
    I dunno, I suggest maybe,post a petition, send emails or suppen! If we continue to view these situations as though they are posted just to comment on and not take action
    sho nuff our Children will all be pimps.

Question Does this pimp child happen to be
    white?
    NO
    And why not?
    Because the white community will not stand for
    it. It seems as though we are the only ones that take media influence lightly.
    Its like we in a DEEEEP sleep.
    This aint a
    "Oh well, situation."
    Money said"
    I don't really dislike the pimp. I dislike the fact that women run to them. A pimp is similar to drug (now really the same) if you use them you will hurt yourself. Pimps aren't like gangs bangas and stuff like that there is no force to be with one so it is all on to female with runs to them or is convinced by them.

Im very open minded sometimes to the point
    of my own destruction but... that there is the
    most Ignorant reply i've heard, it makes me
    realise the problems we are up against in our
    own community.
    No a pimp is not like a drug!
    if a drug had a tangeable black existence we
    could change its mind with upright knowledge,
    history and self awareness, drugs were
    designed to pray on the weak, we were
    designed to share with the strong and strengthen the weak. Apparently some
    women are weak due to whatever social,
    domestic, TELEVISION influences & could
    well be attracted to prostitution but by no
    means is a PIMP NUETRAL like a drug.
    Accept that an you miss the whole problem.

Come on now Ladies.

"We need to
    MAKE BETTER USE OF THIS SITE MAN!"

Dissapointing.

9. Deepa

Deepa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    How about disliking both.

The user who practices brute tactics to gain monetarily from the selling of one's body and the used who allows themselves to be abused for profit that they many times don't get.

I'll add another group to dislike too.

Those who don't find anything wrong with either one.

I'll add yet another group to dislike.

Those who glorify or attempt to justify both lifestyles.

10. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    ^5 Deepa...great post.