Black People : Rapes in South Africa - Desperate attempts to Quell...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Miriam, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Miriam

Miriam Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    What do you think about this new device?

Here is a description on how it works - taken from World News online article published June 8th 2005.

"The device, which Sonette Ehlers, its inventor, has patented, is worn like a tampon but is hollow. In the event of a rape, she said that it would fold around the rapist’s penis and attach itself with microscopic hooks. It is impossible to remove the clamped device without medical intervention."

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    this has just been discussed in another post.

3. Miriam

Miriam Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I am aware of that, but it seems some details were left out, so I thought I would simply post the actual description of the device for those who weren't sure.

In the other post, it seems people weren't that clued up.

See, it's inserted like a tampon, and lasts up to 12 hours. You wouldn;t use it if you were making love to your boyfriend / husband.

4. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    IMO,

If a man puts his penis where it's not wanted (ie: rape) he deserves for it to be ripped off... But it's very unfortunate that it has to come to this in order to address the rape epidemic in southern Alkebulan. I'd rather see stiffer legal penalties and definitely more educational awareness... But can decency and morality really be taught :?:

5. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    This invention is useless and obsolete. If a man has this contraption on his penis it doesnt prove he raped someone or even that he had sex with them. We already have DNA test that can tell if someone had sex with another.

6. Kingpin

Kingpin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Obsolete???? If some man comes in with this stuck to his penis that's PROOF he raped someone. DNA evidence is great if the man can be identified and the woman has gone to the hospital and had a rape kit performed on her. Otherwise DNA evidence is useless. 1.5 million women are raped in South Africa every year... I say women have every right to use anything they can to stop this...even "traps".

The only way a man can have this device on him is if he had sex, if he has it on because of another reason he needs to have counseling. A woman puts this in as a precaution, not if she's having consentual sex.

Here in the US it's fine to use DNA, we have numerous labs that perform these tests, that being said do they have the resourses in South Africa to do these tests on 1.5 milllion women a year, that works out to 4000 women daily. 171 women an hour . It takes 2 weeks to do a DNA test.

I would suggest that you think of these rape numbers as family members, daughters, mothers, sisters, wives and do you still think this device is "obsolete and useless"???

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    1.5 million rapes a year is a scary number, but the US has an even higher rate. In the US, it is believe 1 out of 4 woman have been raped or sexually assaulted. I wonder how such a device would be received over here.

8. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    The US may have a higher rate but the population in the US is substantially larger also.

The device probably wouldn't last long in the states, we have to many lawyers who would jump up and down trying to sue.

9. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I say that women have the right to shoot the SOB. How about that? We have a contraption. It's called a pistol. :D

If this new invention was used and a guy was found in it, then he TRIED to commit rape. Any man with half a brain would know to ask the woman to take it off.

Yes, if he's caught in there, he tried to rape. Same charges apply plus the cost of removal. :D

10. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    This is nothing but barbarism fighting barbarism. It's sad that someone views this as the answer.