Black People : Recent News....

Bless her heart! I remember a few years back when Black women at Destee hosted a weekly "Let's Talk" live series and I was the moderator. On one occasion we discussed depression among Black women and found some interesting data on it. As a Black woman, particularly in America, it should come as no surprise that many of us suffer from depression and a lot of us refuse to seek psychological help. Not only can it be caused by a chemical imbalance, our social construct in America and the reality of how we, as a people, are perceived and treated is a helluva burden that weighs on us every day. Whether living consciously or in denial, it takes its toll on us eventually. Are psychologists trained to treat the impact of racism? Would you dare seek help from white professionals? Psychiatrists want to prescribe anti-anxiety medication which doesn't treat the problem, but dulls your senses. Still, depression should never be suffered without, at least, a professional diagnosis and some advice on what can be done about it.

I applaud this young, beautiful Black woman and I wish her the best in her career and in life.

What raised questions for me, after reading the story about the man spitting on the 3-year old, was the grandfather's reaction after witnessing it. There was no mention of a beat down taking place and he didn't want to be identified as a witness due to his fear of being retaliated against. I guess if you subscribe to the nonviolent movement, that would be okay. But, I know for a fact, that would not have been me if I had witnessed that. Different strokes for different folks. I believe that the child will hear that story told to him many times as he grows up and I wonder what he will think about how it was handled as he learns to process the information. Who knows, maybe by that time, racism will be dead and only described in history books.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back