Black People : Rand Paul

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Nov 18, 2010.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    At first I was ready to dismiss Rand Paul as one of those crazy Tea Baggers but after reading this I saw that deeper thought is necessary to deal with them.

The problem is we don't have all the good guys lined up on one side with their good ideas and all the bad guys lined up with their bad ideas on the other side. Truth is the Baggers are here and they know how to couch their ideas in a way that at least on the surface looks good. Everything looks good on paper but th devil is in the details. If we just dismiss people without looking carefully at what they say we will miss the details and others will make dicisions we might not like.

Rand Paul is in the Senate so his ideas will be expressed in the only stronghold left to Obama now. This is what he had to say
    http://thinkprogress.org/2010/10/15/paul-kids-moms/

In the video I could catch some of what the other guy was saying. What I heard wasan effort to justify the federal education department on the grounds of national literacy. As you know even with fedral control of education our children are graduating from high schools not knowing how to read and write. Is local control of education the answer?

So we have pupils in San Francisco reading Tommy Has Two Daddies and pupils in Los Angeles reading Tommy Doesn't Have a Daddy. Or rather having it read to them because of course they can't read.

Can we do some letter writing urging our congressmen to come up with real solutions instead of just using issues as tools for their pet political ideology?

2. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Where are our teachers?

http://www.randpaul2010.com/issues/h-p/home-schooling/

Suppose this guy is just another lying politician making promises he doesn't intend to keep. I think this is still an opportunity for us if we grab it.

My father's grandmother was Lillian Staples, daughter of John Wesley Staples who was born on July 4, 1865, the first free born African American of his community in Verginia. He owned a farm which he protected from the most vicious racist with guns and rigfles. They even brought guns to the dinner table to protect their property from white supremists. Because Black children weren't allowed in the schools he and the neighboring farmer got together and built their own school.

Can we do that today? The public schools are not serving our children. My baby sister read The Secret Garden by herself whn she was seven years old. By the time she got to the third grade in public school they had her reading two grades below level. My mother took her out of public school and sacrificed to send her to private school. Now she is on her way to law school at Howard University.

Will we waste opportunity by whining over system that isn't working for us anyway or will we be proactive. I think organizing community based schools is a good way to build a sense of community so when our kids go out there in the world they will want to give back to the community that gave them something.

This is no different from emancipation. They thought we would be unable to survive when we were free from slavery. They thought it would just be a matter of time before we died out. Now they think we are so dependent on them that taking the crutch away will result in our utter destruction. Keep thinking that.

Perception is reality.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    IMO

yes, we do

4. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    If there is no more federally funded compulsory public education what are you prepared to do?

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    stop listening to tea partys

cross that bridge when and if i come to it

6. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Problem is there won't be a bridge unless we build it.

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    so you are actively suggesting that black people set up a network of home schools because some tea party nut said so?
    you are giving fools way too much power.

8. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    well, I said it before he did. Black families do need to setup a network of
    homeschools.. I think cultural organizations like churches, mosques, community
    centers should be a part of the effort. Their are several key technologies that
    make the networking of content and materials almost effortless as compared to
    20 or 30 years ago. I can give a lecture right here in my living room and
    broadcast it all over the country for no more than the cost of an internet
    connection. Our greatest minds can contribute 30 minutes of time to video tape
    a lesson or message and that message can be disseminated around the world
    without white approval. MIT has its entire curriculm online for free. You can
    download lectures, notes, presentations, assignments all for free. There's no
    reason why we have to keep trudging along in classrooms doing things the same
    way their were done in 1900. The only difference between todays classrooms
    and the classrooms in 1900 are they use whiteboards instead of chalkboards..
    and chalk was better because it had no fumes. And this has nothing to do with
    anything any Teabagger said.. and why are we allowing white folks to change
    their names again.. what is a Teabagger other than a white person trying to
    get power from other white people.. ?

9. largo

largo Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +286
    I really do not understand what is taking so long to start teaching our children again. What low has to be reached before we get it and take action?

10. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey Skud and largo let's say we work together to make some stone soup here.

I have several websites thatt could be a start for resources. I'd like to make them available to more people and for posterity on a server space that won't die when I do.

What can we do together?