Black Parenting : Raising Our Kids Not To See Color?

MsInterpret

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 21, 2007
I've had discussions with other parent's on race, a lot of them say that they raise their "child not to see color".

Do you raise your child(ren) to not see color?

Is there any benefit to this? Or does this cause more harm then good?

“My parents raised me to not ever look at race or color,” Griffin told the reporter. “So it doesn’t have a big part in my self-identity. [But] I think it has played a big part in how other people view me, just going back to when I was a kid, to even now, doing the things that I’ve been able to do. As an African American, I think other people view that in a different way than I do.”

“(My children) can thrive in any environment they’re in, because they don’t see color — which is something we really strive for in our lives,” Jacqueline Griffinsaid. “It’s not about somebody’s race — it’s about humanity. And God wants to love everybody, no matter their background. I don’t want them to see color. It’s not about that. Any experience we had dealing with racism, we always told our kids, ‘You learn from that. Don’t do that to others.’"

Source: http://newsone.com/2129392/rob-parker-robert-griffin-blackness-comments/

I've had discussions with other parent's on race, a lot of them say that they raise their "child not to see color".

Some folk don't even raise their kids. (Teasing)

I would neither advise nor deem it possible to raise a person to be colorblind; because everything about our society is very colored. Early in school you learn about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and learn that one color was pitted against another. You then learn of slavery, Frederick Douglass, Phyllis Wheatley . . . you watch on TV Basketball, Football, Swimming . . . you hear Rock Music then Rap Music then Pop Music . . . you go to your corner store, you go to your nail salon, you go to your church . . . even your classroom is racially segregated . . . through all of this color is everywhere.

The good part on raising someone to see color is raising someone to respect their color; because otherwise, all those other things will tell you to disrespect it!

A lot of black people did this to their children and then watch as life handed their heads to them. And as soon as he gets in trouble, ( OJ, Tiger ) we'll see what they say then

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back