Black Positive People : Raising Homeless Awareness

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by cherryblossom, Aug 19, 2010.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    17 August 2010

Muslim American Spends Week on Street for Ramadan
    Yusef Ramelize leaves the comforts of home to help New York’s homeless

[​IMG]
    Yusef Ramelize is drawing attention to homelessness in New York City.
    By M. Scott Bortot
    Staff Writer

Washington — For Ramadan, New York City resident Yusef Ramelize will fast, pray and give alms to the poor. But how he helps the needy during the holy month sets him apart from other Muslims in America, or anywhere else.

Ramelize is spending part of Ramadan living on the street. For him, this is the perfect way to draw attention to his city’s growing homeless population.

For the second year in a row, Ramelize is helping New Yorkers in need with his Homeless for One Week project. Ramelize first lived on the street for a week in 2009 after it became clear that people needed to understand homelessness.

“I asked myself, ‘What can I do to raise awareness?’ and then I decided that I was going to go homeless for a day,” Ramelize said. “But then I said, ‘You know what? I want to make the biggest sacrifice that I can’ and I decided to come up with the idea of going homeless for a week.”

Ramelize, a production manager at an information services company, makes good use of his time on the street. Through his website, HomelessforOneWeek.com, Ramelize aims to raise $5,000 for the Food Bank for New York City. In March 2009, he brought in more than $3,000 for New York’s Coalition for the Homeless.....

http://www.america.gov/st/peoplepla...0817163204kcsniggih0.5413019.html?CP.rss=true

2. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Welcome to HomelessForOneWeek.com. My name is Yusef Ramelize...

My goal is to plan and complete one project annually that will draw attention to this devastating problem. I want my experiences to open your eyes and help inspire you to want to do more. To help you see that homelessness is a risk that we all face, but none of us deserve. For one week out of each year, I will give up the comforts of my home and work to raise money for those living on the street. I will document each step of my journey through video, blogs, and interviews with those who are actually homeless.

In the initial stages of each project, I will pick a reputable charity—a homeless organization, shelter, or food bank—to donate 100% of the money I collect from people like you in support of my efforts and homelessness. You can find the current charity, contact information, and website link under “This year’s donation pick.”

http://www.homelessforoneweek.com/

3. noor100

noor100 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +566
    Faith in Practice!!!A beautiful thing...Thanks so much for sharing.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Big ups to this post cause so many of us just don't see it or care
    this something i try to strive for the homeless and elders..........

5. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Thank you both.

I truly believe there are more good people in this world than bad.

And people like this man affirms that for me.