Raising a Vegan Toddler

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by ifasehun, Oct 18, 2003.

1. ifasehun

ifasehun Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I have been a vegetarian since 1989 I believe. When I decided I wanted to find a wife I decided privately that she would either have to be a vegetarian or quicly become one. In fact, through most of college (lol) I convinced nearly every woman I dated more than once that if we were going to see each other, she would have to give up meat. I know...I know..but hey whats a vegetarian to do? lol

Anyhow, when my wife and I had our son we knew he would be a vegetarian as both of us have been this way for sometime. (She was vegetarian when I met her. lol) But we were surprised one to find out he a rare condition that make milk potentially fatal as a baby and then as a toddler when he developed beginning stages of allergies. So he ended up being a vegan. No meat, no dairy - no exceptions.

I want to share with those that are hesitant that my son is smart, lively, strong, bigger than most 2 years old and otherwise unaffected by the myths that only meat and milk will do.

Even though I have been off meat for a long time, I had my own fears as a child is more vulnerable than an adult. But through a few situations I was forced to go the distance and I am pleased to say that Veganism can work - even in children.

I will post some vitamins and nutrutional info that you may want to consider when transitioning your child later on.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    this was some very helpful information.....

so with the help of vitamins and other nutrutional foods without
    meat and dairy products can be as healthy to a baby and the
    child will grow strong and health ??

3. ifasehun

ifasehun Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I'd say yes. Like any other toddler his interest in food in general and certain foods is very sporatic. toddlers can be really picky. but my wife is works hard at always having lots of food choices.

we do take care to watch for vitamins that we know can sometimes be deficient in certain vegetarian kids. but in general, vegetarians get less sick and are usually considered stronger relative to size and body weight than their peers, as children and adults.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I truely thank you for the valuable information here
    this sort of give a guide line to a health child growing up