Black People : Racism: Trending Topic of 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

:great:

Descendant of Robert E. Lee: Black lives matter, statues of the confederate general should be removed

But I've been clear that I dare not speak for my entire family or for even the general himself, as some still revere him and see no reason for this hearing today. I will instead let the famed Confederate soldiers speak for himself, as his documented testimony before Congress can be found easily in your records. When asked before Congress and the country if black American citizens were equally capable of acquiring knowledge as white Americans, that, Robert Lee said, I do not think that he is capable of acquiring knowledge as the white man is. There are some more apt than others. I have known some to acquire knowledge and skill in their trade or profession. I have had servants of my own who learned to read and write very well.

Yahoo News Video

House votes to remove Confederate statues from Capitol

• FILE - In this March 9, 2020 file photo, a marble bust of Chief Justice Roger Taney is displayed in the Old Supreme Court Chamber in the U.S. Capitol in Washington. The House will vote on whether to remove from the U.S. Capitol a bust of Chief Justice Roger B. Taney, the author of the 1857 Dred Scott decision that declared African Americans couldn’t be citizens. The vote expected Wednesday comes as communities nationwide reexamine the people memorialized with statues. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)
  • FILE - In this June 24, 2015 file photo, a statue of Robert E. Lee is on display on Capitol Hill in Washington. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)
  • FILE - In this March 9, 2020 file photo, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., and other Maryland Democrats hold a news conference to call for removal of a bust from the Capitol of Chief Justice Roger Taney who led the Supreme Court in the 1857 ruling against Dred Scott, an enslaved African-American man, who had sued for his freedom, on Capitol Hill in Washington. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)
https://news.yahoo.com/congress-wei...-042338800.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=1_02

Congress Statue Removal
FILE - In this March 9, 2020 file photo, a marble bust of Chief Justice Roger Taney is displayed in the Old Supreme Court Chamber in the U.S. Capitol in Washington. The House will vote on whether to remove from the U.S. Capitol a bust of Chief Justice Roger B. Taney, the author of the 1857 Dred Scott decision that declared African Americans couldn’t be citizens. The vote expected Wednesday comes as communities nationwide reexamine the people memorialized with statues. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

MATTHEW DALY and JESSICA GRESKO
Associated Press

Sanger's name to be dropped from NYC clinic over eugenics

:picture:
FILE - In this March 1, 1934 file photo, Margaret Sanger, who founded the American Birth Control League in 1921, speaks before a Senate committee to advocate for federal birth-control legislation in Washington. Planned Parenthood of Greater New York is removing Sanger's name from a Manhattan clinic because of the birth control pioneer's ties to the eugenics movement, the organization announced Tuesday, July 21, 2020. (AP Photo, File)

FILE - In this March 1, 1934 file photo, Margaret Sanger, who founded the American Birth Control League in 1921, speaks before a Senate committee to advocate for federal birth-control legislation in Washington. Planned Parenthood of Greater New York is removing Sanger's name from a Manhattan clinic because of the birth control pioneer's ties to the eugenics movement, the organization announced Tuesday, July 21, 2020. (AP Photo, File)More

KAREN MATTHEWS

:facepalm:

They lost the Civil War and fled to Brazil. Their descendants refuse to take down the Confederate flag

It’s one of history’s lesser-known episodes. After the Civil War, thousands of defeated Southerners came to Brazil to self-exile in a country that still practiced slavery. For decades, their descendants have thrown a massive party that now attracts thousands of people to the twin cities of Americana and Santa Bárbara d’Oeste to celebrate all things Dixie. The Confederate flag? Everywhere.

By
Terrence McCoy

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back