Black People Politics : RACISM GROWING

BUFFALO KILLER PLEADS GUILTY:

Buffalo Gunman Pleads Guilty in Racist Attack That Left 10 Dead

1669668307748.png
The gunman who killed 10 Black people in a racist massacre at a Buffalo supermarket in May pleaded guilty to state charges against him in Erie County Court on Monday morning.
The 13 people who were shot in the massacre in Buffalo were almost all Black.
The 13 people who were shot in the massacre in Buffalo were almost all Black.© Kenny Holston for The New York Times
The gunman, Payton Gendron, 19, was indicted by a grand jury in June on 25 counts, including murder and a single count of domestic terrorism motivated by hate, which carries a penalty of life imprisonment without parole.

Inside of the packed courtroom, Mr. Gendron was handcuffed and dressed in an orange prison jumpsuit. As Judge Susan Eagan read each count to him, he simply replied “guilty” or “yes.”
After the hearing, John J. Flynn, the Erie County district attorney, said that the terrorism charge was relatively new to the state’s penal code and had not been used before, adding that the gunman was the first person to have pleaded guilty in New York to domestic terrorism motivated by hate.
The gunman still faces federal hate crimes and weapons violations, and some of those charges could carry the death penalty if the Justice Department decides to seek it. Although there is now a moratorium on federal executions, Attorney General Merrick Garland did not rule out the possibility of seeking the death penalty when he announced the charges in June.
Because of a legal technicality in the state charges, Mr. Flynn said, the gunman pleaded guilty to the highest counts, including the 10 counts of first-degree murder. Those 10 counts automatically dismissed the lesser 10 second-degree charges.

Buffalo shooting suspect pleads guilty to state charges, will spend life in prison
Mute

View on Watch

He also pleaded guilty to three counts of attempted murder in the second degree as a hate crime, one count of criminal possession of a weapon as well as the domestic terrorism motivated by hate charge.
During the news conference, Mr. Flynn read a statement recounting how the shooting unfolded, outside and inside of the supermarket, emphasizing how most victims were selected because they were Black.
The 13 people who were shot, three of whom survived, were almost all Black.
The first person the gunman encountered outside of the store was Roberta A. Drury, 32, Mr. Flynn said.
“He immediately intentionally shot and killed Roberta Drury who was walking in the parking lot,” Mr. Flynn said, referring to the gunman. “That defendant did this because Roberta Drury was African American.”
Months before the massacre, the gunman, an avowed white supremacist, began writing about his plans for an attack in Buffalo in a private diary on the messaging site Discord. In May, Mr. Gendron, who was 18 at the time, traveled about 200 miles to East Buffalo from his home in the Southern Tier town of Conklin, N.Y., to carry out the attack.
In the abundant online writings he left behind, the gunman said he had chosen that area of Buffalo for its large population of Black residents.
According to authorities, Mr. Gendron, who livestreamed the attack and was arrested shortly afterward, used a Bushmaster semiautomatic rifle that was purchased legally at a store near his hometown and wore camouflage and body armor.
In the aftermath of the Buffalo attack, and the massacre at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, lawmakers in Albany passed a broad package of gun bills that raised the minimum age to buy a semiautomatic rifle to 21 and banned most civilians from purchasing bullet-resistant body vests.
“It was clear that this act of pure evil, premeditated, pure evil, that this individual knew what they were doing,” said Buffalo’s mayor, Byron Brown, at the news conference on Monday.

Here is a little history for individuals that are fans of the movies Top Gun and Top Gun: Maverick. The first Top Gun competition was held in 1949. The white pilots competed with the latest state of art aircraft while the African-American pilots were forced to compete with older obsolete planes. After 3 days of competition The Tuskegee Airmen team of : Captain Alva Temple, 1st Lieutenant Harry Stewart, 1st Lieutenant James Harvey, and 1st Lieutenant Halbert Alexander (alternate) were announced the winners. There was dead silence in the room. Not one of their colleagues applauded this accomplishment. The victory was swept under the rug and the trophy was not seen by the public for 55 years. Introducing the real Top Guns.

1670992942949.png

Black Screenwriter Flying Home From Emmys Puts ‘Racist’ Delta on Blast

1671125594242.png
Alberto E. Rodriguez
Alberto E. Rodriguez© Provided by The Daily Beast
Delta Air Lines has launched an investigation after a Black screenwriter flying home from the Emmys said he was prevented from boarding his flight by an agent who admitted that it was due to racism.
Darnell Lamont Walker said he tried to call Delta, but the company wouldn’t take complaints over the phone. As an alternative, he posted about his experience on Twitter because “it’s where things change.”
“Gate agent said it was too late to get on my flight - it wasn’t,” Walker tweeted Monday. “Told me to get rebooked at [customer service] then he scanned in the people behind me.”

“Your employee…admittedly didn’t let me onto the flight because I’m Black,” Walker wrote in a subsequent post. “When asking for his name for the complaint, he covered his badge and said he didn’t need to give it, but looked forward [to] reading the complaint anyway.”

Walker, a writer for Netflix’s Karma’s World, was in Los Angeles for the Children’s & Family Emmys award ceremony over the weekend. He filed a formal complaint against Delta on Tuesday, claiming the gate agent said he was too late to catch his flight but, instead, let a group of white passengers board after him.
He shared a copy of the complaint with The Daily Beast, in which he said he arrived at the gate at 11:58 a.m. for a 12:15 p.m. departure from Los Angeles International Airport to Boston.
“[The agent] told me it was too late because the doors closed 15 minutes prior,” Walker wrote in the complaint. “I hel[d] up my phone to his face and told him I still have time before that marker. He told me he was not concerned with the time on my phone (Universal Time) and told me I was too late and to take any issue I had up with the agents at the customer service desk.”
As he waited at the customer service desk, Walker said he recorded the gate agent laughing and joking with a group of white passengers and letting them board the flight.

“Very different from what he gave me,” Walker wrote.
Walker then filmed a white man working behind a counter speaking in a lackadaisical manner to four white passengers before printing off passes and allowing them to board the flight. The clip ends right before the group heads down the jetway.
“After two minutes and thirty seconds, [the agent] scanned them in, and sen[t] them down to the plane,” Walker continued in his complaint, adding that he went back over to the agent for an explanation. However, he said that the agent’s attitude immediately changed and he told Walker to go back to the customer service desk.
“A nearby customer exclaimed that [the agent’s] behavior seemed racist,” Walker wrote in the complaint. “[The agent] responded, ‘It is.’”
Walker said a woman working at the ticketing machine next to the agent announced there was one seat left on the plane and asked if they were waiting for anyone else. Walker told the woman that it was his seat, that he was supposed to be on the flight, but he wrote in his complaint that the woman and the initial agent shouted for him to leave and go back to customer service. Walker said he tried to ask the agent for his name in order to file a complaint, but the man “covered his badge and told me he didn’t have to give it to me.”

Social media users were quick to voice their disgust with how Walker was treated.
“Thanks DLW for putting their ignorant *** behavior on BLAST! Sorry you had to experience that but as usual you showed class and diligence!” a Twitter user wrote.
Other social media users shared their own alleged racial experiences with Delta.
“I’ve had that same experience flying out of LAX on Delta. I do everything in my power never to fly Delta for that reason,” tweeted The Young Turks host Adrienne Lawrence. “You deserved better.”
Walker told The Daily Beast that it took him a while to process the “very racist stuff” that happened.
Delta apologized to Walker on Twitter, saying the company’s “employees reflect our culture of treating all people with dignity and respect, and that is our ultimate goal.”
In a statement to The Daily Beast Wednesday, Delta Air Lines spokesperson Morgan Durrant wrote, “Delta has zero tolerance for discrimination in any form. While we investigate what this customer alleges to that end, we are also in touch with the customer directly to hear more about their experience.”

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back