Black People : Racism: A History (best Documentary I Ever Seen)

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by THE-GOD, Mar 1, 2012.

1. THE-GOD

THE-GOD Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +128
  2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    A documentary which is exploring the impact of racism on a global scale, as part of the season of programmes marking the 200th anniversary of the abolition of slavery. Beginning by assessing the implications of the relationship between Europe, Africa and the Americas in the 15th century, it considers how racist ideas and practices developed in key religious and secular institutions, and how they showed up in writings by European philosophers Aristotle and Immanuel Kant.

Looking at Scientific Racism, invented during the 19th century, an ideology that drew on now discredited practices such as phrenology and provided an ideological justification for racism and slavery. These theories ultimately led to eugenics and Nazi racial policies of the master race. Some upsetting scenes.

The third and final episode of Racism: A History examines the impact of racism in the 20th Century. By 1900, European colonial expansion had reached deep into the heart of Africa. Under the rule of King Leopold II, The Belgian Congo was turned into a vast rubber plantation. Men, women and children who failed to gather their latex quotas would have their limbs dismembered. The country became the scene of one of the century’s greatest racial genocides, as an estimated 10 million Africans perished under colonial rule. Contains scenes which some viewers may find disturbing.

Episodes included: 1. The Color of Money, 2. Fatal Impact, and 3. A Savage Legacy

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/racism-history/

3. THE-GOD

Ratings:
    +128
    One of the greatest documentarys ever, posted by THE GREAT ONE and only 1 reply?!!!:cool:

4. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    two replies:

5. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
  6. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
  7. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    My Brother, my brother!! First I want to say Asante Sana (thank you very much) for the documentary, then I want to clear up something that may be confusing you a little. I used to have the same thought process that you have as it pertains to certain things such as the video and the lack of response to something that should have had many responses. It is then that you have to sit back and ask yourself the question of "why not"? If you are honest in your thinking, you will reach several conclusions that are all true. #1. The info is often too painful for many people to take in and digest for what it is. #2. It shatters their illusion of self and life as they would like to see it as opposed to what it really is. #3. They would rather disconnect from it because to not do so complicates everything they would like to believe and forces them to ask themselves questions they would rather not do. #4. We could call it cognitive dissonance simply because the info conflicts with the idea that many of them may have white friends, associates.

#5. Responsibility...who really wants to be responsible for what they know to be true? Being responsible means a few things. It means that one has to change according to what one knows is true. I means that they can no longer just sit on their couches and act as if everything is fine...or worst yet, the thought process of "that ain't got nothing to do with me" comes in as an escape mechanism without them realizing that those things happened "ONLY BECAUSE THEY WERE BLACK". #6. It reinforces the reality that ain't a daam thing changed, so why are we acting and living like things have changed?

Check this out: Let me tell you how I first started getting in trouble in prison. The first day I was there, I saw a white officer at another white prisoners cell...and I was sitting in the day room watching tv checking out the environment. I heard the white office say to the white prisoner; "Daam, who's that Biiiitcch over there?..referring to the guys pictures he had. Brother I went the hell off and called up to the police and said; "yo man, what the hell are doin at somebodies cell calling their woman a B.? The popo shouted back down that I need to shut up and mind my business. I responded that "It is my business, cause if you're at his cell talking that ish, you're going to be at my cell next with that same ish and we gonna have a problem ...so you shut the hell up!!!

So what's the message here? The message is that, a lot of what's going on with us here and abroad are issues that we ignore and act as if it isn't real UNTIL it comes to our door, until it's our child, until it's one of our relatives....and this is where we go wrong. Everyone needs to read the poem "For Whom The Bell Tolls"....because the reality is that, when it rings for you, don't expect anyone to respond or act for you when you did not respond or act when it rang for them. We as a people have a lot of growing to do and little time to do it.

Once Again, Thanks!

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by THE-GOD, Mar 1, 2012.

Well, actually, it would have still had no replies if I had seen that Bro. oldsoul had posted this before yours.

Last night, I was "searching" for something else when I found this thread. But, if I'd seen the older one first, I woulda bumped that one up instead. ---His has no replies either.

Racism: A History

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Nov 26, 2011.

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/racism-a-history.69553/

9. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    In addition to and even contrary to these reasons, often other people DO read/listen and digest threads and videos here but just don't comment for various reasons.

Sometimes, people are already aware of the information. Just because it's new to the poster doesn't mean it's "new" to everybody or that others aren't already active in their own communities addressing/combating the very issues presented in a thread.

However, the crux for me is WHY for YOU a lack of responses to threads YOU FEEL should get more attention must only be attributed to such mental and sociological disconnects in the readers?

Why are these "reasons" so "TRUE" for YOU when others don't comment on threads YOU FEEL "should have had many responses?"

So, lemme see if I got you right here:

In short, if others don't comment on threads YOU FEEL are important and worthy of greater attention, then, it just must be due to something WRONG within the PSYCHES of the members of this site......and, by extension, with Black people, in general.

So, COLLECTIVELY, all the REST OF US are guilty of "sticking our heads in the sand" and being in "denial" when threads YOU FEEL deserving of many responses are not commented on.

Furthermore, if we would all just listen TO YOU and do what YOU SAY by following YOUR ADVICE, oh how better off we'd be as a People.

10. THE-GOD

Ratings:
    +128
    He edited his post and put the documentary in an old thread!