Black People : Racial Solidarity and Black People Why Fear it?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by IntelligentNoir, Sep 12, 2007.

1. IntelligentNoir

IntelligentNoir Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +74
    Hello all!!!! I am so glad to finally be able to post to this forum. For Whatever reason the first account I signed up with never recived the activation link. No matter I am here now and itching to get in on the conversation. Wow! Let me tell you people that I am truly amazed at what I have read here over the past two days. You guys are definitely some intelligent people with a mission. Very inspiring! Anyways, I have tons of questions and I am hoping that you all can teach this inquiring mind a few things. In the mean time I thought I'd offer up a writing that I'd done regarding the subject of black unity and why it's so difficult. Now I did not go indepth becuase this is not a topic that can be truly explored in a matter of a day, but I did what I could. I hope what O have written proves to be valuable in some way. Anyways, again I am honored to be here amongst such a powerful group of thinkers. Thanks again for the opportunity.

Racial Solidarity and Black People. Why fear it?

I have been pondering this issue of racial solidarity between blacks for a long time. I never could understand why it is that black people simply could not come together and function as one for the betterment of their people and their community. Growing up with a grandfather who was not merely a spectator, but an actual participant in the civil rights movement meant that from an early age I was taught about racial pride. Now before I go any further, let me be clear about what I mean when I say racial pride because there are two types of “racial” pride and one of them is can be constructive and uplifting for the marginalized when implemented in healthy ways, while the other is born out of hate, fear, and misunderstanding of those who differ from us. I don’t want what I am saying to be misconstrued or likened to this sort of “racial” pride. This is not what I am referring to at all.

The racial pride I am talking about was one that was grounded in the sense that there was nothing at all wrong with the color of my skin…that black was beautiful…that I was beautiful, and my people are beautiful. The racial pride I am talking about was steeped fundamentally in purely loving and appreciating who I had been born in this world as and what would become a strong part of my identity whether I wanted it to or not. My grandfather’s efforts were his attempt to prepare me for what would be a rather cold and unforgiving environment for me and my people. I thank god that I was blessed and placed in such a household. Although I had no clear understanding of what my grandfather was saying…why loving me, my people, my black skin would be so important, I understand now. As my world has evolved from the isolated area’s known as projects to include the world at large, I understand clearly what my grandfather’s efforts meant.

Now, unfortunately many were not as fortunate to have grandparents and parents to talk to them about their history and about loving themselves, and as a result, many do not love themselves. They don’t know how to, and they don’t understand why they should. This is why when black people talk about coming together…talk about black unity they are easily swayed into thinking that such a concept is wrong. But I ask you, what is so wrong about wanting to uplift your community and your people and return to them a history that was lost but we are now able to rediscover? And I ask you, what is so wrong with wanting people to see a better side of themselves, and that there was more then simply slavery in our past? What is wrong with wanting this, and even more, what would be the benefit of such an endeavor whole heartedly pursued and enacted without fear of being called racist for wanting to reclaim what was lost, for simply wanting better?

Yes, black people who seek truth about themselves, I have noticed through my research and stumbling onto websites, and forums, and so forth, are often demonized for seeking out truth. Ethnocentric, and afro centric are the new dirty words for blacks who are not simply willing to be spoon fed what is supposedly their history by white euro centric minded historians but are branching out on their own to find out what really happened, and who we are. Personally, I view nothing wrong with having a strong interest in ones beginnings regardless of color. Of course, I see something wrong with people who use these studies to demonize and dehumanize others. However, what I have seen over the course of my research is that, people who are not even blaming whites but are merely speaking out on atrocities and addressing lies that have been told to blacks over the years are being labeled as militant minded racist.

I ask you, how does looking for ones history, origin amount to being a racist? How does dispelling lies and myths that have been told about our people and our origins amount to being racist? In what sense is it racist for my people to want to know from whence they come and who they were before the America’s? Why is it so frightening for whites and some other ethnic groups, when blacks speak on these issues? What harm comes to whites if blacks learn a little more about who they were before slavery? What harm comes to whites and the other groups by blacks regaining a sense of self? What harm is there in that?

I truly want to know the answers to these questions, because whenever I see black mentioning such actions as working together to be more knowledgeable about our black history, or anything that could be tied to our people and return us some small portions of our culture, there are whites who object, and of course, although it is rare, I have seen this from other ethnic groups. The thing is, while these groups object to black solidarity, they themselves are expressing that very thing. White people do not talk about racial unity because racial unity is understood. Asians don’t talk about racial unity, because racial unity is understood. Latino’s don’t talk about racial unity, because for the most part, it’s understood.

But for my people, it is not understood, and when attempts have been made to work as a group, a unit to uplift our people, we have found ourselves undermined. Just look at some of the early blacks fresh out of the chains of slavery. They worked together to create thriving communities. Although still very much oppressed by the people who first enslaved them and then freed them, they struck out with renewed hope, and attempted to take hold of the American Dream. Some of the early blacks were some of the most educated. They were doctors, lawyers, scientist, and teachers. They owned homes, and built schools, and businesses and were desperately trying to make the best out of what they had and even then, they found themselves being meddled with.

Examples of prospering communities that were destroyed by whites would be Rosewood which a movie was made about exploring the tragic event. Then there was Tulsa Oklahoma, where a massacre of three hundred innocent black men ,women and children. Men and women who were not scum but were working with solidarity to achieve and had achieved, and were as wealthy if not more so, then their white contemporary. Now , these two cases are well known, at least the first is, but the second is the lesser known and even when you try researching it on the internet it is almost impossible to get any information on the massacre of the blacks in Tulsa Oklahoma.

The only reason I know about this tragic event where prominent blacks were murdered and many dumped in a massive graves was due to a documentary I stumbled on about six years back. I use these as examples, as tragic as they are, to say that, not only are blacks capable, they have always been, but everyone has their breaking point, not to mention that most have bought into the propaganda of their worthlessness and their stupidity and can not see the light of truth from the darkness that is ever present in and around our community. But one only needs to look to our history to discover the possibilities. Blacks are not as powerless as we have allowed ourselves to be led to think. We are not as dumb or worthless as we have allowed ourselves to be led to think. Now I say allow, because no one can convince you of anything you are not willing to accept. That is a simple truth.

Again I ask, what is the fear in blacks unifying to better their communities and uplift themselves? Jews do it all the time. They have entire communities that revolve around them and their culture. Asians do it all the time. They too have communities that thrive and revolve around their traditions and culture, their history and so on. Italians, Irish, Latinos, even Native Americans. Everyone does it, and yet when black people speak on these things suddenly there is an outcry, usually by whites, of racism. We are accused of only wanting to wallow in the past. We are accused of wanting to keep conflict going. We are guilted into believing that wanting to know about ones origins and ones culture and wanting to create a community built off of these things are wrong, and racist, and no good for anyone. Why? Why is it wrong?

What does my concern with my blackness have to do with white people or any other race at all? It doesn’t. It has absolutely nothing to do with white people. To imply wanting to be better and have a foundation on which to begin to move in a direction of reconciliation with ourselves is like saying an adoptee that sets out to find their parents and more about themselves is somehow bad. Does a reasonable person actually think this way? And yet my people have been made to feel bad and accused of desiring to undermine white people at the very mention of black unity and black reconciliation with ourselves and our culture.

We have been so brainwashed into thinking that wanting these few things is so bad, that we fight amongst ourselves over the very topic. Mention back unity to racial solidarity and racial pride in a group of black people and you have black attacking the concept and calling it racist. Where did they get the notion that curiosity about ones self, wanting to come together as a body, regardless of religion, regardless of socio economic status, and any other divisive barriers we have erected is a bad thing?

Simple. They have been made to feel as though by them speaking out on these matters that they are condoning racism. But wait, this unity, this racism, we speak of and whites take issue with, is it not the very unity other nationality of people express without reproach or accusation of trying to undermine the white established structure? It is, and yet, we have been convinced that opposition to working together is the truest path to racial conciliation for all, white, brown, blacks, and yellow.

Again I ask, where does the belief that uplifting people who look like you amounts to racism? From where does it derive? Why is it for some even blacks that the word unity becomes perverse and associated with negativity, and yet we see cultural unity expressed every day, just not in our community? Why is unification amongst us so feared? Now I have my speculation as to why some object and you can take them for what they are. Whites complain on a daily basis that blacks are lazy, that blacks need to stop begging the white man for handouts and to get their own. And yet, these same whites object to blacks building racial pride. These same whites object to the concept of blacks creating businesses and doing business within their own community. They object to the notion of blacks creating programs that cater to the needs of blacks. They object to anything that is centered in blackness. Why? Were we not instructed to create our own? Were we not instructed to stop begging and bringing the white man down? You see, even whites realize what blacks have yet to and that is a sense of self is crucial for a healthy outlook on life. If I can love myself, if I can embrace all of me, from the ugly history of slavery, and beyond, all the way to the present, I can find peace. Peace is something we as a people do not have right now.

Even the bible speaks of the consequences of a troubled heart. I say to you, as an uprooted people, we have no peace, but it’s not impossible to have. We can have it, but we have got to break the chains that tell us it’s wrong to want it. Now I don’t like addressing issues like racism, because it tends to bring out the worst in human beings. But I would be lying if I said that concept and inability of blacks to unify is not directly affected by such. We are already seen as a barbaric group incapable of functioning without violence. Those who fear us coming together use our insecurity over how we are viewed by the larger populace to guilt us into not pursuing an avenue that is best for us.

How can someone guilt us into not achieving racial unity? Simple. We are already viewed as baby making murderers, last thing we’d want added to that tasteless resume is that has been contrived for us is racist. So they make the idea of racial solidarity undesirable by identifying the concept as a racist one,but it’s not.

The movement of black unity like any other movement can be perverted to take on less then ideal ideology. However a strong desire for good can overcome all. The press for black solidarity can empower us in ways we have yet to begin to imagine. Last, racial solidarity can be racist if it seeks to exclude, which black unity in the purest sense does not. Black solidarity is a concept that seeks to remove power from those who don’t seem to get us and where we are coming from, and place it in the hands of those who not only get us but are like us. Why is this necessary? We’ve all heard the saying “Seeing is believing” We’ll in order for black people to be able to believe that we are capable of progress, that we are smart, that our communities do not have to look like wastelands, we have to see the change occurring, and we have to see it happening at the hands of those who look like us.

Once our children see the black business’s and see the black doctors, and lawyers and so forth and so on, not just when they’re sick and have to be taken to the doctor, not when they’ve gotten in trouble and need representation, but actually living participating members of their community then they will realize that it’s not as hopeless as the have been made to believe …that they too can become whatever they desire. But these things can not be done until our people realize there is nothing wrong with black solidarity. And anyone who tells us otherwise black, white, yellow or brown is a coward who fears the potential of black people and as such, should be removed from our lives so that those of us who understand the importance of coming together as a unit is the only sure way of survival for our people, can do what needs to be to be done to help our people overcome, and reach their full potential. Now I don't pretend to hold all the answers, and some of what I say may be viewed as generalization of this issue, but I am addressing this matter the best way I know how. Either way, these are my thoughts and opinions, feel free to offer me yours.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    :wave: Hello and Welcome IntelligentNoir!:wave:

Whatever problems which was keeping you from sharing in the forum,
    I'm happy to see it has been resolved. Also you've written an excellent
    write up. It promotes much thought!

Unity.......Why the ripe against Black Pride? IMO racial pride amongst Black people would force the world to regurgitate and face all the ills perpetrated
    against Black People. Black people would no longer be under the inferiority spell. Every wicked twisted thing said about Blacks would have to be recanted. Every horrid event done towards Black People would lay on the doors of all who agreed and participated.

Oh what a shameful day it would be when Black People reclaim their Pride,
    teachings, architectures, science, land, inventions, and everything else they have stolen and made us look as if we are beneath them. The Greatest lie told concerning Black People would be exposed if/when Black People unite for the betterment of the race.

The story tellers who robbed us of our divine spirits would be up for consideration in the very constitutions they designed to trap us in. It would place them at it's very feet to be judged.

So no, they don't want Black Unity, Self-Realization, and/or any upliftment of the Black Race.

:heart:

3. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Welcome sista

:hiya: :hiya: :hiya:

Welcome to the forum IntelligentNoir we are honored to have you!

I will say right off I am in 100% agreement with:
    Pick up a copy of Yurugu for answers to some of your questions around why white people are threatened by us such as those you posed here:

Again, welcome, welcome, welcome...we look forward to sharing, learning and growing together.

Peace

4. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Greetings...ImHotep....Akwaaba...Bless Up and.....Well....Come Sistren IntelligentNoir:hiya:

Glad to see you made it aboard and Thanks for sharing.

Basically,...I agree with the reasons Sister PurpleMoons listed...

Oh the SHAME THE SHAME THE SHAME....

and ..they CANNOT tolerate the Shame! inherent in thier actions/BE~haviors towards AFreekan Descendents....

WE on the other hand...(impo= in my professional opinion) have BE~come extremly co-dependent and currently suffer from an ailment called "identification with the aggressor"
    Many are unaware...that is...the information about themselves (ALL of themselves) lies in thier UNCONSCIOUS mind...and..many are not willing to go there..they/WE will defend this aspect of our self and keep it hidden from all except the Creator or God as we overstand IT. (him)

While I certainly support "defending the self"....it seems WE are now so well defended...WE cannot successfully "reach"/"see"/come together in any kind of solidarity.

Thanks again for BE~ing here and I look forward to growing together

:hearts2:

5. IntelligentNoir

IntelligentNoir Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +74
    Than You!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! And thanks even more for taking the time to read my humble rantings. These are issues that weigh heavily on my mind on a daily. As a mother of a black boy soon to be man, as well as being the older sister to a seventeen year old young black man, I worry constantly about the state of affairs of my people. But I work diligently to instill in my little one as well as my brother the importance of their people and working towards unity. Hopefully, being here amongst such a wise group I will learn even more to contribute them and our struggle.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  6. Enensa Aunghk

Enensa Aunghk Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    IntelligentNoir,

also pick up copies of Chancellor William's Destruction of Black Civilization.
    Williams shows in his book that the same things you listed in your post were happening from the fall of Kemet up to the present day, with regards to black unity and challenges of disunity.

Williams gives several examples (Zulus under Chaka, Angola led by Queen Nzingha, different dynasties in Kemet for example) where black people unified. Check it out. You'll see why everyone is afraid of it.

However, just remember that as bad as it looks there are black people coming together all over the world, rebuilding. But you won't hear about it.

7. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    more Beauty of it all!

This I keep clear in the recesses of my Spirit.....I KNOW that I KNOW that I KNOW..this IS happening...

thank you for sharing
    :hearts2: