Black People : Racial Slur Attack Forces Afrikan-American Family To Move

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Chinelo, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Chinelo

Chinelo Third Eye Is Always Open MEMBER

Removing LIES And Spreading The Truth
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Just another reason to instill our young to take venue to HBCUS,and also a call to build our own schools in our own communities,i say "little hbcus" for our young all across this nation.....smh......why would any brother or sister put their child in a school that is 97.4% white?

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/family-to-move-following-school-racial-intim

BELOIT, Ohio - A Northeast Ohio family, fed up with racial slurs aimed at their children, plans to move to another school district.

Herb and Rebecca Watson moved into the West Branch Local School District earlier this year. Their son Adontis, 14, had been attending school there for several years as an open enrollment student and hadn't had any problems. But this year, all that changed.

Adontis says both he and his sister, Shantelle, have been the targets of racial slurs from a group of students at West Branch High School. But it was a threat overheard on a school bus that was possibly the last straw.

"The kid was saying he was gonna hang me from a tree," Watson said, "and his parents were gonna find me dead hanging in his front yard."

West Branch High School is located in Beloit, a small farming community on the Mahoning-Columbiana County line. The school district is 97.4% white.

Principal Brian Coffee says an investigation was conducted and the student who made the inappropriate comment on the bus is being dealt with in accordance with the school district's bullying policy. "I can't get into what has happened," Coffee said, "but if Adontis was here today he probably would get through the day without seeing the young man."

The two students may never see each other again. Herb Watson has withdrawn his children from the school district and plans to send them to school in Alliance.

School Resource Officer Craig Crider says it's still an open investigation. He said he'll contact the Mahoning County prosecutor to see if criminal violations occurred.

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

Good question Chinelo, trying to integrate I guess rather than seeking separate but equal...

3. Chinelo

Chinelo Third Eye Is Always Open MEMBER

Removing LIES And Spreading The Truth
    Ratings:
    +1,632

Its been proven to be detrimental and destructive to our young and old's social,mental,and economic health to continue to try and stay connected at the hip to these caucasoids.

Thats why i loved when brother malcolm broke down what "Integration" and "Seperation" REALLY means in a speech to the "Militant Labor Forum"on April 8th 1964, its really one of his overlooked comments that has never been really seen for what it is, as has his other quotes,let me see what you think:

"But a segregated school system isn't necessarily the same situation that exists in an all-white neighborhood. A school system in an all-white neighborhood is not a segregated school system. The only time its segregated is when it is in a community that is other than white,but at the same time is controlled by the whites.

So my understanding of a segregated school system, or a segregated community, or a segregated school, is a school thats controlled by people other than those that go there.

But in an all-white neighborhood,where you have an all-white school,thats not a segregated school. Usually they have a high-caliber education. Anytime someone else can put on you what they want,naturally you're going to have something thats inferior.

So the schools in harlem are not controlled by the people in harlem, they're controlled by the man downtown. And the man downtown takes all of the tax dollars and spends them elsewhere, but he keeps the schools, the school facilities, the schoolteachers, and the schoolbooks, materials, in harlem at the very lowest level. So this produces a segregated education, which doesn't do our people any good.

On the other hand, if we can get an all-black school, that we can control, staff it ourselves with the type of teachers that have our good at heart, with the type of books that have in them many of the missing ingredients that have produced this inferiority complex in our people, then we don't feel that an all-black school is necessarily a segregated school.

Its only segregated when its controlled by someone from outside.

I just can't see where if white people can go to a white classroom and there are no negroes present and it doesn't affect the academic diet they're receiving, then i don't see where an all-black classroom can be affected by the absence of white children. If the absence of black children doesn't affect white students, i don't see how the absence of whites is going to affect black students.

So what the integrationists, in my opinion, are saying, when they say that whites and blacks must go to school together, is that the whites are so much superior that just their presence in a black classroom balances it out. I can't go along with that."

Malcolm X

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

This is the point, self empowerment.

5. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

A farming community at that!

Some good can come out of this though. Hopefully, these 2 students will not do the same to their children and so on and so on down the line....or even become activists and become instrumental in starting their own school (s) for black people .....

6. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    My parent's put me into a school that was like that, where the majority was 95% white...it was a private school...

I don't necessarily believe my parent's put me there because of the racial dynamics....IMO they viewed it as the school was because they thought I would get a better education there, because the public schools here aren't so great...

I liked the curriculum there because I learned more there even after switching to public schools....

However, the social aspect I always felt uncomfortable...even more so after I switched to public schools for 1 grade only to be kicked out and put back into private school...

The children in private school would tease me and say I lived in a certain area of Tacoma, where predominately black people lived and where it was low-income. They would say I came from K st, which is Martin Luther King rd and in a gang, when I had not....I lived in the same exact neighborhood they did....And all because I was black. I wasn't angry that they were saying I lived in those areas, I was mad because I was alone in the situation and hurt because they were down playing me because I was black.

LOL...I ultimately had enough of those kids and raised hell for the last year I was there and got expelled and put back into public school.

But I'm sure my parent's intentions were good when they put me in school full of whites...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black people in west branch ohio