Black People : Race Segregation versus Class Segregation in Schools

GrozTheWarrior

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 18, 2007
Hello! I am one semester away from completing my teaching credential in California. One of the requirements for a CA Credential is taking a Multicultural Foundations course. Last night in class a heated debate was sparked about segregation in schools. There is a consensus that racial segregation has evolved into a form of class segregation.

I feel this can happen in one of a few ways :: As the average socio-economic class of the community rises, students develop different interests (either academically or socially) so instead of separating themselves into black-white-asian-latino, the split is between rich and not-so-rich. Another reason might be that as 'minority groups' are actually the minority (take some Bay Area schools in California for example - San Jose is predominantly Latino whereas a school in Palo Alto might be predominantly white), the commonalities shift from skin color to something else. In this case, similar interests and social class.

I am interested in feedback, either from students or parents of students who have witnessed anything like this in schools. I am interested in where else this is happening and possible causes for this shift in segregation.

Thanks!

Forgive my Generalization(s), but you have no clue what is about to happen in Amerkkka's Schools and School System.

The fact of the matter is - there should be no division at all, IF the schools were working toward what they say they are working toward. What sense does it make to go around bragging "we're equal opportunity," but one group is far down, while the other is on top???

-ish happens...

KM

Well for Starters, my Brotha...I would further analyze the Segregation issue(s) by observing it in all areas of People Activity...that would be a good start. For example, and since it is for Research/Educational Purposes ( I am a Student as well), I would look at the presence of Segregation in Enter"tame"ment (Entertainment), Religion, Politics, Economics, War, etc...I think you get the point.

If I can be of any more help to you, please let me know.

KM

GrozTheWarrior said:
Hello! I am one semester away from completing my teaching credential in California. One of the requirements for a CA Credential is taking a Multicultural Foundations course. Last night in class a heated debate was sparked about segregation in schools. There is a consensus that racial segregation has evolved into a form of class segregation.

I feel this can happen in one of a few ways :: As the average socio-economic class of the community rises, students develop different interests (either academically or socially) so instead of separating themselves into black-white-asian-latino, the split is between rich and not-so-rich. Another reason might be that as 'minority groups' are actually the minority (take some Bay Area schools in California for example - San Jose is predominantly Latino whereas a school in Palo Alto might be predominantly white), the commonalities shift from skin color to something else. In this case, similar interests and social class.

I am interested in feedback, either from students or parents of students who have witnessed anything like this in schools. I am interested in where else this is happening and possible causes for this shift in segregation.

Thanks!

GrozTheWarrior ... Hello and Welcome ... :wave:

In general, we don't respond well to folk joining us for the sole purpose of gathering information, research, etc.

Share your thoughts in other threads, give us a chance to get to know you ... and you'll probably receive more responses.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back