Black People : Race matters to 3-month-olds, studies find

I'm interpreting this article to mean that if I don't want my child to be prejudiced, I need to expose my infant to "other-race" faces from birth.

I'm also assuming it really means is that parents ought to expose the infant to a variety of complexions, both light and dark so that the child won't develop a preference for one over the other. Many AA families have a wide variety of complexions in them already. Most white families do not, so this is something those of them who value diversity need to concern themselves with.

panafrica said:
Fascinating..............children are born with a natural attraction, even a preference for their own people. I believe it, this matches my childhood experiences and feelings.

Kelly’s team found the preference for own-race faces doesn’t exist at one month of age, so it is not innate, they noted

The article doesn't say that children are born with the preference, but it develops by 3 months of age if the infant is not exposed to "other-race" faces.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back