Black People : RACE IS NOT REAL, BUT A SOCIAL CONSTRUCT...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Leave it to my brother Pan Africa to get something started -LOL!

In a recent response to a post on Dr. Diop by sister Akilah, brother Pan said some of our intellectuals believe RACE to be a social construct, but he does not... Brother Pan reluctantly used animals(big and small domestic cats) as an example of his reasoning behind believing there to be differences within the same species of creatures to explain our differences from other ethnicities...

While I don't necessarily challenge his reasoning, or beliefs, I do believe that we cannot have it both ways, when we say that humanity began in Africa, and that all mankind derives from the AFRICAN WOMAN and MAN, and still believe that we are more than ONE race, the human race...

Yes, all life evolves... The Hippopotamus is believed to have, first, been a dolphin, or other such sea mammal... Snakes live in the deep sea, and they now live on land... Big Cats got bigger to defend themselves against larger predators, and some plants and animals developed killer venoms to maintain their survival on the planet... This does not make them another species of plant or animal, just another evolutionary stage in their development...

I am no biologist, but I believe that this is the way nature/GOD infinitely creates, and teaches us to create... Necessity is the mother of invention... Our needs as life on this planet gives birth to our creating many changes... White Man, Yellow Man, Red Man, Brown Man, in my humble opinion, are simply evolutionary changes and adjustments to their environments, not separate species...What are you guys thoughts and beliefs on this???

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I believe that Race is a social construct for the following reasons:

One the obivious, this Sociological Ideal was not invented until the 17th Century by Europeans. People of Ancient Times were nationalisitc, and had no Ideal of Race.

Second, 99.4 of our DNA is the same, couple that with the fact that Blacks are the originial article and you may see that Race is Mental Not Science.

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    I agree brother, but we are still caught up in a LANGUAGE construct that we cannot break away from...

For example, the word RACISM presupposes that there are RACES... It plays into the idea that there are really RACES, and that the idea is REAL, and not a social construction... I prefer to use WHITE SUPRMACY because that puts the burden for the centuries of discriminatory abuse on it's inventors, and denies the existence of many races...

White Supremacy is about EUROPEANS imposing their belief systems and ideology on the rest of the world, and is THEIR social construct and prescription for the rest of us... When we use their construct and it's language, we are reinforcing their belief system... That's one of the reasons why we cannot get away from separate races, and that is why we cannot get at the truth you describe in your post... Why even when an AFRICAN PERSON says there is no such thing as RACE, most of that get that confused with, "there is no racism..."(smile!) Can't be no "racism" without RACES, but there sure as hell can still be WHITE SUPREMACY...

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Amen Brother

5. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812

Do you suppose that that's because the ancients were at one point ALL black and could therefore only distinguish themselves by nationality?

Though I've heard of other theories concerning the origin of different races, the prevailing one seems to be the out of Afrika one. If we buy that, does it really matter that life began on the continent if there are indeed physical distinctions that separate us into what we now know as races? Race is science...genetics. What's social is how people have interpreted and manipulated scientific reality based on their own agenda... but race is real.

6. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Blacklioness, there is no historical reference to Race, in any text by any ancient society.

The word Race comes from the French word Razza which was found it's way into the english language around 1500.

I do understand this argument, but all ancient peoples were nationalisitc, if a european was born in Alkebulan and raised there he or she would refer to themselves as a native to their country not as white.

Moreover, Science has disproved Race by showing that our Genes are the same. There is no scientifc evidence that proves race. The Ideal of Black, White came from the Europeans. A great example of this is Hasidic Judaism. Hasidic Judaism is the porition of Judaism that attempts to use Race (White) as being a sole need for being a Jew. Why is it that this variante of Judaism is the only one that attempts to utilize race as basis for religious practice?

With that being said, the ideal of race is a sociological construct and is not scientific.

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Sister Blacklioness, Race is THEORY, not science... Eugenics is THEORY, not science... Science has it's experimental theorizations, but unitl something is PROVEN in the scientific world - and the THEORY of RACE has been disproven - it is only theoretical...

Now, if you say, Race has BECOME, to some, real based on centuries of believing it to be real, then I'll buy that, but it has been scientifically been disproven by the evidence Manasiac provided... Again, because we have not fully explained what is meant by race as a social consruct, many of us believe that we are denying that WHITE SUPREMACY exists... NO! That is not is what is meant by saying Race is a social construct... The IDEOLOGY and practical use of WHITE SUPREMACIST discriminatory abuse and exploitation can NEVER be explained away by saying RACE is a social construct... It is simply giving it a more accurate nomenclature, or explaining what the phenomeno actually is...

I got hip to this many years ago when I heard sister Barbara Jordan at the Democratic National Covention saying that Africans had been just as guilty of racism as White folks - or words to that effect... I was flabbergasted that the sister would say something so ridiculous! She was equating us expressing bigotry with 500 years of White Supremacy!!!! Dig the difference???

Random acts of Bigotry and prejudice are NOT the same as the applied science of 500 years of WHITE SUPREMACY... Calling a white boy cracka can never be compared to putting our ancestors in a slave ship, and making them work sun up to sun down until death... Nor can that be compared to Separate But Equal/Jim Crow for half a century, or not allowing us to vote, or hold political office, and so on ad nauseum... But that is what the sister did, because she did not understand the difference between the social construct and the REAL DEAL...which is WHITE SUPREMACY, not racism...

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Leave it to brother PanAfrica to shake things up once more: "IF" race truly is not real, but a social construct. What is the ultimate conclusion that should be/could be drawn from this realization? That all are one, and we should join together/mix together in order to create some mythical utopia?

9. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    This is good. The way we put so much emphasis on race just shows how much and how long we have been in contact with these people.

10. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    What people? Who are "these" people that you are referring to? One can't proclaim race to be fictional, then still try to classify others. It is contradictory! If race is a social construct, then that means whites are the same as blacks. That being the case, then we are all one people (humans). Which would make this website, and most threads in it invalid! The ultimate result of this belief is to join together with all people. This is an integrationalist philosophy...nothing more nothing less...I don't buy it

There have been numerous genetic studies that proves the existance of race. Indeed there are modern DNA test which can tell an individual how much Asian, European, or African blood they have. Tell me how that is possible if there is no such thing as race? Black, Whites, Asians, Indians, Hispanics, and Arabs all belong to the same species: Homo Sapien-Sapien, but we are all different races.