Black People : R.I.P. Nelson Mandela

I join those in sorrow over the death of our brother, Nelson Mandela, still.....

These are the words and sentiments of a brutha born during Apartheid and a very wealthy man living today in South Africa:

I was raised in the township, particulary Soweto, during apartheid. When i was four years old, our home was raided by police who were searching for my fathers friend. There was a couple seated in our small living room area, who had a six day old baby. When those savages raided our place, they grabbed the child from the mothers arms and slammed her against the wall as if she were a raggy doll. My parents immediately picked me up and placed me in a suitcase and my mother was beggging me not to speak and not to cry as my dad pushed it under the bed before the police burst into the bedroom. I remember the screams. Anyway, fastforward to post apartheid South Africa and the legacy of violence has finally come home to roost and its ugly. This time its not white against blacks, its blacks against blacks. Black South African people in the township have been killing each other over as little as one rand. They have even turned on black impoverished foreigners who are living in the townships and they've been killing them and accusing them of depressing job wages and so on. Political analysts and some government ministers have stated that the violence is because of lack of service delivery in the poor areas. However i know that isn't true. Somewhere, somehow black people were taught that black lives weren't valuable. They learnt this when after the demise of apartheid the government decided that those who committed atrocities during apartheid were to be forgiven. The government wanted to focus on economic development and part of the reason they chose the grand forgiveness route was to ease the racial tension and in so doing avoid any black on white violence (leading by example supposedly) and create a we are the world society. The government just wanted to create an economic atmosphere which boosted investor confidence etc. Though i have benefited greatly from the economic policies of the ANC, in the economic climate it has created, i think the dignity of black people was too big a chip to cash in despite the results. I feel that organizations which have the clout should really focus on getting justice here at home first. It's greatly needed to restore the dignity of so many black folks here.

David Cameron of Britain is putting on quite a show. In 1985 he was a top member of the Federation of Conservative Students, who produced the "hang Mandela" posters. In 1989 Cameron worked in the Tory Policy Unit at Central Office and went on a anti-sanctions fact finding mission to South Africa with pro-apartheid Lobby Firm that was sponsored by Botha.

Mandela ftbv.png

I think it's healthy and a good thing for people to vent their opinions on Mandela. I'd much rather that the a fake superficial frenzy that we are experiencing from the media. it is important we remember all the black leaders that have made sacrifices, those that didn't have the luxury of living a life at all. Steve Biko....

It's interesting to hear the other views and it's even more insightful to see that a lot of the politicians jumping on the bandwagon were against him at one point.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back