Black People : R.I.P. Nelson Mandela

May the ancestors make a place for him at the dinner table.
I wish his presidency/status could have done more for our brotha's
and sista's over there in the way that jamesfrmphilly has alluded to.

I share the sentiment. It is what it is. In 1987, the Soviet leaders who supported the ANC's armed struggle advised against following that course as the SU was on the verge of collapse due to overextending itself in Afghanistan and independence movements from within. A peaceful compromise and reconciliation was a condition of his release. Awhile back I discussed this in a thread whereby by I mentioned a film, which I think the title was Endgame. It was a BBC release.

I'm going to keep my peace with Madiba and refrain from personal judgement out of respect for his position as an Elder. We can't place blame entirely on him for what had transpired since his release in 1990. There have been other players involved, most notably Tambo, Mbeki, Ramsposa (who has benefitted the most financially) and Zuma.

If Chris Hani was not assassinated at the time in which he was (1993), the outcome would have been entirely different because SA was in the brink of civil war and the ANC was on the verge of an internal split. And with military support from the Soviets gone they were under pressure from PAC and AZAPO militants backed by Mugabe and China.

A nation teeters on the brink of civil war in this real-life political thriller about the negotiations that led to the end of apartheid in South Africa and the release of Nelson Mandela. Michael Young, a British businessman working in South Africa, has the audacious hope of bringing both sides of the apartheid conflict together — the entrenched government and the rebel African National Congress (ANC). But when his dream of secret talks is realized on an estate in England, it quickly becomes clear that common ground will be elusive as explosive tensions boil just below the surface. Against a backdrop of danger, terrorism and escalating unrest, a high-stakes chess match plays out, ultimately proving that peace is possible.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/endgame/

I share the sentiment. It is what it is. In 1987, the Soviet leaders who supported the ANC's armed struggle advised against following that course as the SU was on the verge of collapse due to overextending itself in Afghanistan and independence movements from within. A peaceful compromise and reconciliation was a condition of his release. Awhile back I discussed this in a thread whereby by I mentioned a film, which I think the title was Endgame. It was a BBC release.

I'm going to keep my peace with Madiba and refrain from personal judgement out of respect for his position as an Elder. We can't place blame entirely on him for what had transpired since his release in 1990. There have been other players involved, most notably Tambo, Mbeki, Ramsposa (who has benefitted the most financially) and Zuma.

Yeah, me too.

If Chris Hani was not assassinated at the time in which he was (1993), the outcome would have been entirely different because SA was in the brink of civil war and the ANC was on the verge of an internal split. And with military support from the Soviets gone they were under pressure from PAC and AZAPO militants backed by Mugabe and China.

Hani's story deserves more attention.

In a description of the film's characters, Oliver Tambo.

"In the 1980s, Tambo asked Michael Young to help him "build a bridge" between the apartheid government and the ANC. Mbeki, who became his second-in-command, attended the secret talks organized by Young, reporting back to Tambo. As work toward a negotiations continued, Tambo suffered a stroke and underwent extensive medical treatment."

So, with the deaths of Hani and Tambo in 1993, there was a leadership void in the ANC leading to Mandela's election in 1994. But the "bridge" that Tambo and Mbeki created in the 80s was intact because they built in on the back of the Free Nelson Mandela campaign.

Apartheid only changed on paper, Therious. How is it possible to reverse the system when the ANC continues to make deals with the hegemony that has a vice grip on the country? This is not my opinion but the sentiment of many black South Africans I've befriended. Real leaders don't make deals with their oppressors. When you broker deals with your oppressor you are conceding defeat, thus nothing changes.

If you want a better overview on the economic and political atmosphere in South Africa you can simply join a South African blog on Facebook or some other social network. There you will get a better grasp for what's really going on. Change in SA does not appear likely unless is revolutionary. Whether it's civil disobedience or armed revolution remains to be seen.

With the passing of Mandela it's clear why people (particularly whites) give him much accolades while other liberators like Robert Sobukwe, Patrice Lumumba and Thomas Sankara are not held in the same regard as Mandela. Mandela is not a threat to white supremacy while the afromentioned liberators are. When the people who oppress you begin to give you praise you are a nonessential threat, a conciliatory conformist.

I agree 100, and what you post is knowledge that I am more than aware of, please do not assume that I speak from a void of overstanding because if you do, you are wrong. There are more revolutionary mebers of the ANC,as well as other political parties.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back