Black Sports : R.I.P. MARQUES HAYNES

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Kemetstry, May 26, 2015.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    Harlem Globetrotter Great Marques Haynes Dies At 89

[​IMG]

PHOENIX (AP) — Marques Haynes‘ dribbling skills wowed fans in more than 100 countries. He was a showstopper, a player who helped make the Harlem Globetrotters beloved ambassadors of basketball around the world.
    Haynes, often called the greatest dribbler in basketball history, died Friday in Plano, Texas, of natural causes, the Globetrotters said. He was 89.

“Basketball has lost one of its most iconic figures,” Globetrotters CEO Kurt Schneider said.

In two stints with the touring team — from 1947-53 and 1972-79 — Haynes played in more than 1,200 games for a team that combined dazzling skills, theatrical flair and circus antics.

The Globetrotters will dedicate their 90th anniversary tour in 2016 to Haynes and will wear a uniform patch in tribute.
    “Marques was a pioneer, helping pave the way for people of all races to have opportunities to play basketball, and for the sport to explode on a global scale,” Schneider said. “His unique and groundbreaking style of play set the tone for modern basketball as we know it. Anyone involved with basketball worldwide is indebted to Marques. He was the consummate Globetrotter. ”

While playing at Langston (Oklahoma) University, the acrobatic Haynes caught the attention of Globetrotters owner Abe Saperstein in 1946 after leading Langston to a win over Globies. Haynes remained at the school, but after graduation joined the Globetrotters. He led them to victories against the George Mikan-led Minneapolis Lakers of the NBA in 1948 and 1949.

1 2Next page

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  2. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    I remember watching them back in the day. Medowlark Lemon, Curly cracked me up...

Peace!

3. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    bot

4. Xeon

Xeon Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +20
    He lived a long life. Had he not been black, I'm sure he would have been remembered as a NBA star....