Black People : Questions the ask or the answers they give?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by legit-writer, Oct 17, 2011.

1. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    "Never judge a person by the answers they give, but rather by the questions they ask." I saw someone post that quote somewhere online and I decided to ask people what that meant, and I have found my answer today, after doing some careful thinking. The reason why it's better to judge a person by the questions they ask is because it tells a person what they are into and what their mind is on, and what they are about. For example, if a person asks me if there are any clubs in the town that I live in, that should tell me that they are either interested in the kind of activity or they are trying to avoid that kind of activity. Otherwise, why would a person ask that for? So with that being said, I will do my best to no longer judge a person by the answers they give me, but rather the questions they ask me, because while it's interesting to learn the answers being given by someone, their questions is really what helps me learn about a person the most.

What about you guys? Do you learn better about a person with the answers they give to your questions or do you learn about them better with the questions they ask?

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    For me, it's both, depending on the situation. Often, though, when people give answers, what they didn't say can speak volumes more than what they did say.

As for questions, they, too, are often filtered through what that person's motive or agenda may be, according to the questions.

3. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +879
    I would have to disagree to a degree. Asking questions is a teaching tool...it draws information out of a person to prove them, help them see that they have the answer to their own question, to illuminate that they need to do more research and many other reasons. Often times, the questions a person asks has nothing to do with them personally.

In your example, that person could be asking those questions to learn more about your interests, not that they share them, but to open up dialogue to familiarize themselves with you and the surrounding area.

However, what a person speaks about the most is telling, what they invest their time into the most and who they surround themselves with as well...this all will tell you more than the type of questions they may ask you.

4. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +879
    To add: Be mindful of some people who will ask questions to test your honesty...it is hard for these folks to trust anyone...so they ask questions to see if you will contradict yourself, or was she telling the truth when she said ... awhile back:).

5. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,323
    It's a bit of both, since all of it is coming of their heart. I don't really think one or the other shows more of who that person is, but that they both show equally what the person is about when they are truthful.