Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Questions for napptural ladies

Are you against hair straightening?
Do you straighten your hair without using chemicals?
If so, how and have you experienced any damage?

Against straightening? Depends on the reason behind doining it. If it is for a particular look but you spend a lot of time natural, then no. If you only wear the hair straightened then I'm against it.

I am locked, but before I locked (6 months ago) I never pressed my hair or even really sat under a dryer. I believe heat to be evil. And there are other ways to straighten hair.

Salaam Sisters,
Lol.....I read the pressing comb memories. No it is not like that at all. Some people still old school it and use the hair grease but most use a protective serum like Bio Silk so that the hair can be light and have alot of body. I am a hair stylist so wearing the same style for me is like jailing my creativity. I press or flat iron for variation now but when I first started the natural process I straightened because I didnt like my hair looking nappy. Until I met another stylist who specializes in natural hair only at her shop. And she taught me how to wear and love my hair just like it is.

Salaam Sisters,
Lol.....I read the pressing comb memories. No it is not like that at all. Some people still old school it and use the hair grease but most use a protective serum like Bio Silk so that the hair can be light and have alot of body. I am a hair stylist so wearing the same style for me is like jailing my creativity. I press or flat iron for variation now but when I first started the natural process I straightened because I didnt like my hair looking nappy. Until I met another stylist who specializes in natural hair only at her shop. And she taught me how to wear and love my hair just like it is.

lol. I don't have a problem wearing the same style, I just want to minimize damage.
which biosilk product are you using? the Thermal Shield?

I guess I am mostly against straightening naps. I have been napptural for seven years and haven't even thought about altering the texture of my hair. Then I see a pic of a nappy girl w/ a roller set done at a dominican salon...her hair was gorgeous. I was like dang, I want my hair to look like that. It was still nappish though.
I think she got an inch of damage from the heat. Her hair is nappy but not like mine. My hair would need more heat and probably be damaged al ot more. I just can't lose inches for a style.

That's so true. I never struggled w/ relaxed hair the way I do w/ my naps.
I have to pray to get through detangling sessions.
If my head wasn't so big I'd shave my head.

Yes Sister, that's it ... i don't want to take a chance on altering my natural texture.

What do you mean, a roller set ... like putting rollers in, and sitting under the dryer? Are you saying the heat from the dryer, damaged an inch of her hair, or was there something more in the process, that did the damage?

You know Sister ... as i struggle with my natural hair, i can't help but believe, had we been allowed to love our own selves, this would not be the struggle it is now ... it would be our norm. We'd have lots of great tips, tricks, ideas, etc., to share with each other, learning them all from previous generations, and passing them down ... but such is not the case for us ... and we must struggle along, trying to establish such.

Thanks for sharing Sister!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Salaam Sisters,

Thanks for sharing Sister ... it's good to know the pressing comb experience has improved! :)

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back