Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Questions for napptural ladies

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by blackeyes, Oct 30, 2008.

1. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    Are you against hair straightening?
    Do you straighten your hair without using chemicals?
    If so, how and have you experienced any damage?

2. mizwrite28

mizwrite28 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a recovering perm addict and i'm 18 months sober! I have gotton used to wearing my hair in cute natural styles however I do get it straightened once every other month. I get it pressed or flat ironed. The press straightens the best for my taste. And I just wrap it and it lasts for a couple of weeks. No damage. I have come to find out that natural hair is a hell of a lot more work than relaxed.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    I'm not really against it, i just can't help but recognize the damage we do to Little Black Girls, making them think they aren't pretty the way God made them.

No, i've not ever straightened my hair, since going natural. I probably will though, at some point. Maybe a flat iron, or blowing it dry, or maybe even some pressing comb kinda thing! :eeek:

I'm in no hurry to do any of that though, as going natural has been such a journey for me and my hair. I'm very protective of doing anything to it, that may alter it permanently.

In addition, even when i was permed, i never used flat irons, curling irons, or any of that ... so it's no big stretch for me not to use those things now.

Nope, i've not done it, so no damage.

Great Questions Sister!

:heart:

Destee

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    lol @ 18 months sober ... Very Good Sister !! :toast:

I too am a recovering perm addict, and am about 33 months clean! :D

Sister, you say you get your hair pressed?! Is it like in the old days pressed, where grease is popping and stuff?! :eeek: ... please take a peek at our ... Pressing Comb Memories Thread ... and let me know if it's like that, or has pressing hair evolved to a more safe, anxiety free expeirence?

I agree with you too, that my natural hair is more work than when it was permed. I often look at my hair, talk to it and God, wondering, asking ... "God, what did you intend for me to do with this hair?!" ... but i am bound and determined to experience it in its fullness, to embrace what God gave me, for i believe there is a blessing in it ... even if i can't see the whole blessing yet!

Keep up the good work Sister!

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

5. blackeyes

Ratings:
    +449
    I guess I am mostly against straightening naps. I have been napptural for seven years and haven't even thought about altering the texture of my hair. Then I see a pic of a nappy girl w/ a roller set done at a dominican salon...her hair was gorgeous. I was like dang, I want my hair to look like that. It was still nappish though.
    I think she got an inch of damage from the heat. Her hair is nappy but not like mine. My hair would need more heat and probably be damaged al ot more. I just can't lose inches for a style.

That's so true. I never struggled w/ relaxed hair the way I do w/ my naps.
    I have to pray to get through detangling sessions.
    If my head wasn't so big I'd shave my head.

6. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    Against straightening? Depends on the reason behind doining it. If it is for a particular look but you spend a lot of time natural, then no. If you only wear the hair straightened then I'm against it.

I am locked, but before I locked (6 months ago) I never pressed my hair or even really sat under a dryer. I believe heat to be evil. And there are other ways to straighten hair.

7. mizwrite28

mizwrite28 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Salaam Sisters,
    Lol.....I read the pressing comb memories. No it is not like that at all. Some people still old school it and use the hair grease but most use a protective serum like Bio Silk so that the hair can be light and have alot of body. I am a hair stylist so wearing the same style for me is like jailing my creativity. I press or flat iron for variation now but when I first started the natural process I straightened because I didnt like my hair looking nappy. Until I met another stylist who specializes in natural hair only at her shop. And she taught me how to wear and love my hair just like it is.

8. blackeyes

Ratings:
    +449

lol. I don't have a problem wearing the same style, I just want to minimize damage.
    which biosilk product are you using? the Thermal Shield?

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Yes Sister, that's it ... i don't want to take a chance on altering my natural texture.

What do you mean, a roller set ... like putting rollers in, and sitting under the dryer? Are you saying the heat from the dryer, damaged an inch of her hair, or was there something more in the process, that did the damage?

You know Sister ... as i struggle with my natural hair, i can't help but believe, had we been allowed to love our own selves, this would not be the struggle it is now ... it would be our norm. We'd have lots of great tips, tricks, ideas, etc., to share with each other, learning them all from previous generations, and passing them down ... but such is not the case for us ... and we must struggle along, trying to establish such.

Thanks for sharing Sister!

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Thanks for sharing Sister ... it's good to know the pressing comb experience has improved! :)

Much Love and Peace.

Destee