Destee Network : Question!!

Discussion in 'Destee Network :' started by BLKFOXFIRE, Apr 3, 2002.

1. BLKFOXFIRE

BLKFOXFIRE Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everybody
    Its me again, i have a few more questions, i am trying to understand the language in searching for a webhost. Being that i am on a tight budget, i am trying to get as much for my money...I am coming across alot, i don't know what is good and what is a rip off..Any suggestions? Destee sister, i would love to go with you, but i can't afford your prices right now, maybe when my business grows some more (lol). What does POP3 mean? and how much space is a fair amount? i have printed out so much information, that i read in bed, i have papers everywhere. I am pulling my hair out.....HELP!!!!

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hi BLKFOXFIRE,

Let me first address your comments about my prices. Most of my clients are experts in their own fields who are busy managing their own businesses. They aren't usually aware of all things that should be considered when developing, hosting, and/or maintaining their web sites. They come to me because they want an experienced professional to help them determine and provide these needs, someone they can trust for sound advice. This allows them to get "up and running" in a relatively short amount of time. While I don't have any experience with all the many web hosting companies out there, if you choose to do business with the "cheapest" ones on your list, the level of service and support will probably reflect that. It is highly unlikely that you'll be receiving anything you have not paid for.

The Internet (web sites) brings together so many technologies, that having someone who is able to help you understand and walk you through the maze of information you'll encounter, is going to cost money. You'll end up paying, on one end or the other. Either you spend the time trying to understand it all yourself, or you spend the money by having someone knowledgeable and trustworthy on your team. Time, Money, Bad Experiences, Changing Providers, etc., ... makes no difference ... you're going to pay. If you have the time to learn the things you need to know, so that you can make informed decisions, then that is the way to go. There are lots of free tutorials on the Internet, just do a search on Google or any major engine and you'll be well on your way.

You can find hosting services from free to thousands of dollars per month, depending on the solution/support/services you need. It's a very important part of your web site, as it is the infrastructure your site resides in/on. You want to be sure that it can meet your needs, because having to move later is really more of a hassle and may lead you to stay where you're really not happy ... because of the hassle moving may be to a novice.

In regard to your POP3 question, POP stands for Post Office Protocol. It is the protocol used to send/retrieve email from your web server. With POP3 accounts you are able use popular email clients, such as Netscape Messenger and Microsoft Outlook. It's usually a basic part of any paid hosting service.

How much disk space is a fair amount? This really depends on what you plan to put on your web site. My answer would only be a guess, as I don't know your specific needs. However, make sure you can increase your disk space if the need arises, and you should be okay regarding space.

Hope this helps.

Destee

3. BLKFOXFIRE

BLKFOXFIRE Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Destee
    Thank you for the information, i see this is not as easy as i thought it would be, and i am tired of beating my head against the wall. I am going to need your help. Is it possible we can talk..

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Enjoyed talking w/you Sis. :)

Destee