Black Women : Question

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by river, May 14, 2004.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    What can we do to support our brothers?

2. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    ummm

Well, I'd probably need some time to think about a more concise and on point answer to give to this question, but off the top of my head...I say throught education. Let's educate them through our actions. If there's anything I know that works amongst my brothers/peers it's influence. Most won't respond to a talk about what we as a people need to do but they can see it and slowly make progress into a positive change by watching us be the change we want to see.

As for support, I have trouble finding a universal answer. I treat each brother according to who he is/what he is about individually. Each brother calls for something different.

3. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I feel you. What constitutes support for one can tear another down.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    every brother can use a little support but supporting them can be or mean many
    different things mentally , the morals and sometime the support of being able to
    stand beside them even it can be a more deeper need but support can be of number
    of things needed to complete a brother.

5. sadie's brown

sadie's brown Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hard ot say

Well black men are all individuals, so it's has to be an individual plan of support based on his needs and your abilities.

I think over all we can supportive black men by seeing them as individuals and learning to notice the good from the not so good. And some need to stop believing the worst about black men as a group of men.

6. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with Sister Sadie

Everyone is an individual. I feel that support has many varied meanings. I just hope that so far in my short time here that I've done a little bit to help brothers and if I haven't I hope that I learn to eventually. I love to see brothers doing good.

7. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Yes I like this keep talking

8. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Sister River :wave:

Interesting question you've asked here.

Can you give me a little more insight as to what you mean by the question? What do you mean by "support"?

Queenie :spinstar:

9. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hi Queenie,

I apologize for not answering sooner. I went to visit my cousins in New York and just got back today.

I realize that's a big question that can be attacked from many different angles. That this is the woman's section of the forum narrows it down just a little.

What are some of the ways in which we deal with brothahs as women? In love relationships, as friends, on the job, in the community? What can we do in those roles to help the brothahs grow as people and affirm themselvels as men? I'm talking actions, attitudes, words. I realize it is still a big question but it may not be such big bite if we all get personal. What can/do I do in my situations with the brothas that I encounter?

10. jazzymoonchild

jazzymoonchild Well-Known Member MEMBER

administrative
    Ratings:
    +9
    I agree with most everyone here. Each man is an individual. I can't necessarily provide the same type of support to my natural brother that I would provide to my platonic friend or a mate. My personality is naturally supportive of people unless I have a reason to feel otherwise. I love to see Black Men doing well almost more than I love to see my sisters doing well. There are so many of our men out here who are intelligent, brilliant even, creative, spiritual and strong, and if we, as black women can't find a way to work with the good ones, being there to listen to their gripes and complaints as well as the good moments, we will lose them. I firmly believe that. To piggyback on that thought, some brothers really need to open up and a let a sister who truly cares about them for the man that they are, or are on the way of becoming. They must trust us.