Black Spirituality Religion : Question

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by SayWord, Sep 21, 2003.

1. SayWord

SayWord Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I was born into my religion. I'm black and a Catholic(yes, we are out there). I've noticed that as I grow and mature I have more questions about my faith. And this is something that has been on my mind for a really long time.

Before the slave trade, African tribes had their own religion. Their own set of beliefs. Missonaries came to Africa and spread Christianity. Used it to pacify Africans. Used it to enslave Africans. Used it to keep slaves in check. Now we are "free," but are we still slaves to a belief system that really isn't ours. What happened to African religions? What happened to the African belief system? Do we even know what our ancestors truly believed? A lot of Afro-Americans are Christian. But should we be? Should we strive to find out what our roots are?

2. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,323
    Yes, many blacks are Christians, but that does not mean they are still slaves. Many do in fact know what their ancestors believed, but that doesn't mean they are obligated to follow after. Since we are free, we have much more to ourselves to be educated about the world around us, and access to learning the old ways of our ancestors. And with that, we all have a choice in what way we'll go down.

I know in my family, none are practicing Christians, and some don't know what to believe, so they reserve that part of their life. I wasn't brought up in my faith or any faith at all, but just brought up knowing I was black. I made a choice, and am happy with it. I did my own studying and work, and no men of this earth, white or black, taught me what to believe. So it shouldn't be thought beliefs are being passed down without those who believe doing work to understand what they believe, especially opposed to what was believed by their ancestors.

And just because slave masters were forcing what they believed upon the slaves in the name of Christianity doesn't mean those men could actually call themselves faithful to the Holy Son.

Only the Father can show you what you should do or find out; ask, and He'll answer, search and you'll find because He'll guide you. So if it be in His Will that you find what you ask for, then you won't be wanting for it. I know my roots and know my Father; They are the same.

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

First of all, welcome.

Secondly, Christianity, Islam and Judaism were well established in Africa long before the slave trade.

Do you know where your African ancestors were from?

There are study forums here which may answer some of your questions. I suggest you dig deep into your own Ancestral past and bloodlines, for therein lay many of the answers to your questions.

Peace!