Black People : Question: who are GYPSIES?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Gelbgada, May 13, 2004.

1. Gelbgada

Gelbgada Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm writing about the word "gypsy" (or "Gypsy") in blues lyrics and other songs. I'm trying to get people's opinions and knowledge about what this word means. Do you see "gypsy woman," for example, as a Black woman, some other kind of woman, a fortune-teller, or someone from an ethnic group called "Gypsies"? There's different opinions on what or who exactly a Gypsy is in blues, or in things like Hendrix's "band of gypsies," so I'm trying to see what individual people think about think about this. THANX!!!

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    The Gypsie are an ethnic group who are believed to have originated from India. They are nomadic, who often set up temporary "camps", before moving to another location. Gypsie are most common in Europe: Spain, Romania, Italy, etc. Although there have been Gypsie groups in the US, my father actually grew up with a Gypsie family in Chicago. Despite this, I definately do NOT think of Gypsie as black people. My wife grew up with Gypsie in Spain, and told me that many are scared of Africans. The only similarity between us is like African people, the Gypsie has been persecuted, and the target of police campains. Gypsie do not consider themselves to be white; however, in fact most have an intense hatred of white people. They have an interesting culture, one best discovered by doing a web search.

3. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    Really?

I knew a little bit about Gypsies, but you really gave some great info :deal: Panafrica...my brother so smart :bowdown:
    Gelbgada,
    Welcome to the room, glad to have you here.
    Let us know how your search goes Gelbgada
    :peace:

4. Gelbgada

Gelbgada Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

Thankyou, Nita and Panafrica. Great info. :read: Could I ask when it was that your father was growing up in Chicago?

And is there anyone who has AT ANY POINT thought that Gypsies were either just a lifestyle (not connected to any ethnicity) or Black fortune tellers or something different? I really appreciate any opinion, memory, etc.

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    To answer your first question, my father grew up in Chicago during the 1950s & 60s. To answer your second question, again Gypsies are an ethnic group, with a specific culture. Being a Gypsie is NOT a lifestyle, and they are NOT black.

6. Gelbgada

Gelbgada Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again... Just so you know, I totally agree with you, but this is sort of a survey to find out who sees it another way (I know that some people do) and what their understanding is. That's why I'm asking for opinions - because I'm interested in how other people see this topic. :toast:

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Gelbgada ... Hello and Welcome.

Have you visited any "Gypsy Forums" and asked them personally, what they consider themselves to be?

:heart:

Destee

8. Gelbgada

Gelbgada Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the idea... actually, I know a lot about it, but what I don't know is what OTHER people consider Gypsies to be - especially people who've listened to blues lyrics with the word in them. I'm writing a paper about blues, intersections of Black people and Gypsies, and what different people know about this topic, etc.

BTW, this is a really cool forum and I'm glad I ran across it. I don't do that much of this kind of internet stuff, but I'm getting really into all the smileys (and people!). :spin:

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Okay great, glad you like it here. Please tell us, if you don't mind, how do Gypsies view themselves?

:heart:

Destee

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194

Users found this page by searching for:

1. are there black gypsies

2. black gypsies

3. are there any black gypsies

4. can black people be gypsies,
  5. are gypsies black,