Black Spirituality Religion : question to those who post here.

Some puzzling and contradicting statements on freedom. Can you obey and still be free? Faith is a way of knowing and if the way is unreliable you may come to the wrong conclusion. Can you be free if what you know is wrong?

Hi, and welcome to Destee, by the way. :D

Yes, you can obey and still be free, because it is a choice to obey; no force but simply one choosing not to step out of set borders, laws, rules, and such. If you chose to stay within the boundaries of your own house, but could very well leave whenever, however, you never do simply because you liked it better inside, were you then a prisoner? No, because it was your own choice to stay inside. Had you been held against your will to stay, you then become a prisoner.

Faith is a way of life; it's what has been given so we can know the Way to freedom. It is in no manner unreliable, but when in the Son and the Father, is most reliable.

As for the last question: are you asking me in particular, or just asking in general? Just to be certain.:)

Hi Angel22, thank you for your warm welcome:)

My second question was addressed to anyone who cares to answer. So I welcome any input you may have.

Using your example on the question let me elaborate farther. Suppose it is made known to me that there is a lion outside my house and it will kill and eat me if I go outside. Believing this on faith alone I make the decision to stay inside. Can we say that I am free if the decision I make is based on faith? If making a decision is based on what could be a false belief I argue I am far from free. This is the reason that when it’s important “to know”, we do not use faith.

I’m ok with you or anyone having faith as a way of life, so long as it does not harm anyone. I myself sometime operate purely on faith.

Before I go in for am operation, if a surgeon tells me faith is how she lives her life, I’m ok. If she tells me faith is how she comes to know god and the afterlife, I’m ok with that. If however she tells me faith is how she acquires her medical knowledge I’m out the door. I like breathing.;)

I would assume that the discussions on religion are mostly about Christianity because black people are predominantly Christian.
Being new here I have not posted much but you can already know what I believe in. I believe that currently we cannot prove or disprove the existence of god.
They may have been a time when we could not prove or disprove whether the earth was flat. Saying the world was not flat was just disbelief until we had people like Galileo.
Disbelief is a belief as we weigh the existence of god, and I must say so far the evidence is weighing strongly against.

Isaiah 40:22

Viewing the King James Version. Click to switch to 1611 King James Version of Isaiah 40:22.

It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereofare as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

- King James Bible "Authorized Version", Cambridge Edition

Hi Angel22, thank you for your warm welcome:)

My second question was addressed to anyone who cares to answer. So I welcome any input you may have.

Using your example on the question let me elaborate farther. Suppose it is made known to me that there is a lion outside my house and it will kill and eat me if I go outside. Believing this on faith alone I make the decision to stay inside. Can we say that I am free if the decision I make is based on faith? If making a decision is based on what could be a false belief I argue I am far from free. This is the reason that when it’s important “to know”, we do not use faith.

I’m ok with you or anyone having faith as a way of life, so long as it does not harm anyone. I myself sometime operate purely on faith.

Before I go in for am operation, if a surgeon tells me faith is how she lives her life, I’m ok. If she tells me faith is how she comes to know god and the afterlife, I’m ok with that. If however she tells me faith is how she acquires her medical knowledge I’m out the door. I like breathing.;)

Yes, one can say they are free if the decision is based on faith; if there really is a lion outside, then there is nothing false there that is keeping you inside, but truthful knowledge has been shared with you to save your life; you're certainly still free. And this is with faith in the Son and the Father; it is always truth and never lies, which is why faith shouldn't be placed in man, but in They. It is salvation; it saves our lives, thus we are still free, and will forever remain so, in faith. :)

Yes, one can say they are free if the decision is based on faith; if there really is a lion outside, then there is nothing false there that is keeping you inside, but truthful knowledge has been shared with you to save your life; you're certainly still free. And this is with faith in the Son and the Father; it is always truth and never lies, which is why faith shouldn't be placed in man, but in They. It is salvation; it saves our lives, thus we are still free, and will forever remain so, in faith. :)
We may have different definitions of what faith is. My understanding of faith is just belief. You have no evidence showing you what a lion is, what it does, if it’s eaten, or if there is a lion outs side.
My question is, if you stay inside because of what you have been made to believe and there is no lion outside are you free? If there is a lion outside then you may have been saved. Yet because your knowledge of lions is though belief what exactly do you know about lions. If there is no lion outside well then you have been trapped, and can never been free because you are making a decision on a false belief

Let’s say someone tells me they are looking outside the window of the house and see no lion. If I continue to say I will not look out the widow but believe there is a lion outside am I free?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back