Black People : Question to everyone concerning racism...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Pharaoh Jahil, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    How often do any of you experience it? and it doesn't necessary have to be "in your face" racism but it could be just an attitude or a certain vibe one gets from someone of another race or ethnic group..

Example... I was walking down the street, coming home from work today and there were like this group of Asian women talking. Now as I'm walk pass them, this one woman gives me a certain look (and I'm sure we all know that look), now as I'm walking, I notice that her facial expression was straight but the way she was looking at me, yall just don't know.. I wanted to ask her "is there a problem"? but I'm a grown man, I don't have time for such ignorance.

But back to my first question, How often do any of you experience racism of any kind, form or expression? I notice that I get this same "look" from white and latinos from time to time. They don't have to say or do anything. The "eyes" does it all.

2. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    PJ

Salaam

I experience racism almost on a daily basis so often that I no longer conciously acknowledge it.

Seeing a billboard with a picture of an orangutang on it saying "African wild life" is a form of racism.

Going to the store and seeing a box of pink talcum powder being labled "flesh colored" is a form or racism.

Walking pass cars on the street and hearing doors click, or white people telling me to smile more are forms of racism.

Going to the book store and seeing Jesus, Moses, and all the ancient Hebrew figures being portrayed as white is a form of racism.

When I meet foreign Muslims on the street and after I greet them (although we're dressed the same way) they look me up and down and then ask me if I'm really a Muslim, is a form of racism.

And I won't even get into what I witness coming from the televison and radio.

I run into racism so much in America unfortunately it almost doesn't bother me anymore.

I think most of us have gotten used to it.

It's not until I go to a place like Canada where it's not as obvious that the lack of overt and subtle forms of racism actuallyy alerts me.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Racism is a daily vent i deal with and i meet head on
    i don't think there are many who don't have a run in with it some point of a day
    it's so wide open now and comes from all corners no matter where you turn it's
    there .

4. Froggy1

Froggy1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    in L.A its a bit different its racism from your own and from others. Being in high school you gotta brace yourself for a lot of racism. Some times its just flat out stupid like one time I told someone I knew how to play guitar and they were like thats not a black person instrument and the dude was black. I was just confused foraminute

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    you know froggy1 we are at points our own nightmare but the reality of
    RACISM is every where waiting for you trust me it's crawling in L.A
    the older you get the more it will hit you because the american society
    deem to push this up our backz .

6. nasco

nasco Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Most of what I see is just subtle and not overt. Many times, what people think is racism is not racism at all, but it's actually bias, prejudice and ignorance. I'm certainly not saying that your experience wasn't racism. You we're there, and you'd know best. However, one thing that many blacks experience from everyone including their own kind is the "lost smile syndrome". This occurs when someone is smiling and engaging in normal everyday chat and activities and when they see you, they immediately stop smiling and change their disposition to very aprehensive - like "oh, there's a black person, I'd better be real careful".

7. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    I face it pretty much anytime I walk down the street when ladies clutch their purses tighter and move their children out of my way as if I was about to snatch either one.

8. nasco

nasco Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I've seen that happen too.

9. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    Practically everyday I witness some form of it, usually not overt. Sometimes it's just there, accepted in the racist's mind as being justified somehow, and no big deal in their eyes. I just try to "do" me regardless.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

Brother Ralfa'il, of alll the things you enumerated in your post, this one stood out for me... All intelligent and outspoken African men experience this from tight-bootied and frightened white folks... Too many of us go out of our way to pander to them... I have never, nor will I ever, relinquish the expression of the full range of my human emotions to pander to these animals...

My emotions are the bequeath of The Creator of the Heavens and the Earth, and no man or woman shall dictate to me how I should express the one and only Isaiah... Yes, this form of racism, and variations on it, happen on a daily basis...

This aint the relationship thread, but that double-standard stuff we oft get from our sisters: "Oh, I don't like you when you're angry", or "You don't make me happy anymore", that's also something that though it is not racism, it is it's baby... It comes from the same controlling mentality as White Supremacy...

Good Thread, Brother PJ!

Peace!
    Isaiah