Black People : Question(s)?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Blackbird, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    What really unites Black people in America?

If Black people in America didn't share a history of low economic and social status, a history of mutual enslavement and oppression, do you think we would have the same sense of "Self" that we do now?

What, if any, national "myths" bind us to one another besides our collective heritage of American slavery?

Since the Black Indian thread, I have been thinking more about this, although the question of Black identity has loomed in my mind since about two weeks before Kujichagulia night in 2002. During that time, I posed a question in an open forum that I moderated "how do you define Black identity" and among those committed people in attendance from Kwanzaa, I received a myriad of answers. I thought was appropriate since it was "Self-Determination" night and the it is about our right to define ourselves and name ourselves for ourselves.

So again I ask:

1. What really unites Black people in America?

2. If Black people in America didn't share a history of low economic and social status, a history of mutual enslavement and oppression, do you think we would have the same sense of "Self" that we do now?

3. What, if any, national "myths" bind us to one another besides our collective heritage of American slavery?

Tuhwi

2. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Our determination to remain an economic and social minority.

Nope

The one that blames the white man for every evil in the black community.

3. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Interesting take.

A few years back I coined a phrase and possible condition called "the genius of low expectations." The main premise is that we expect less and therefore receive less because we accept the less that we expect. Sometimes I think we expect to always bump heads against the "man". I asked a brother once what would we do as Black people the day after we overcame? He told me he had never given too much thought about that day because he had been too focused on discussing what white supremacy was and how it has held us down for too long. He broke it down that for many of us the struggle defines what being Black is, the struggles gives many of us a purpose and a meaning in life. That's deep. He said the struggle was claim of Black people in America.

I would like to know other people's perspective and answers to my initial three questions.

Tuhwi

4. Putney Swope

Putney Swope Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +139
    The same thing that unites First Nation peoples of North America,

what was this question about, and what was the statement about mythology about?

5. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Huh? Please clarify.

6. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    Ma'at Hotep

1. nothing unites black people in america

2. there is no collective sense of self other then the identity that america's womb nurtured

I was thinking earlier how we always talk about how labels are all westernized thought processes and yet it seems like that's all we ever talk and argue about westernized thought processes

3. We bind IMO ourselves to myth .... I think we are all connrcted,but can only choose or submit to bein bound

Just not really feelin all the america myths.... like if that's ur fantasy, the "american dream" .... all it ever does is crumble, in the world not of it, that's peace

good questions!

ase