Black Spirituality Religion : Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Fine1952, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,783
    [​IMG]

"Hell" Explained by a chemistry student

The following is an actual question given on a University of Arizona Chemistry mid-term, and an actual answer turned in by a student.

The answer by one student was so 'profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well!!

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

:SuN030:

:SuN030:

2. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,783
    Part 2

[​IMG]

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following: First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving, which is unlikely. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

:SuN030::qqb015::SuN030:

3. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,783
    Part 3 Whew! Bear With Me!!!

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

:SuN030::qqb015::SuN030:

4. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,783
    Part 3 "I know I am losing heat, LOL"

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

(LOL, got plenty of fire....though! LOL, I'm just sayin')

5. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,783
    Part 4 LOL, Just a lil humor, y'all

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, "It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you!" -- and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct..... ...leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting 'Oh my God.'

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED AN A+.

(this board gets a lil too deep for me...however, I will live in peace.)

6. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137

:geek:

:fyi:

Hell is exothermic. The fact that so many idiots supply it fuel, keeps the reaction going.

:court:

:whip:

:em0200:

7. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    The Grave, Hell, and the Lake Of Fire

1. Jun 30, 2000 8:46 AM
    » Truthcounsellor - What does the Bible say about them?

The Hebrew word sheol [gravedom] is translated by three English words in the King James version:
    "hell" - 31 times, "grave" - 31 times, "pit" - 3 times

The Greek word hades [gravedom] is translated by two English words in the KJV:

"hell" - 10x's, "grave" - 1x

The Hebrew word qeber [a burying place for the dead] is translated by six English words in the KJV:

"grave" - 23x, "graves" - 6x, "burial" - 4x, "burying place" - 7x, "sepulchre" - 19x, and "sepulchres" - 12x

The Greek word mnemeion [a burying place for the dead] is also translated by six english words in the KJV:

"grave" - 4x, "graves" - 5x, "tomb" - 2x, "tombs" - 5x, "sepulchre" - 33x, and "sepulchres" - 3x

--------------------------------------------------

Now, not to be confused with "a grave site" or "place" of burial, it must be recognized that there is only one Hebrew, and one Greek word that have been translated in our two Englich words "hell" and "the grave" (or "gravedom").

Other words that we may want to review or make not of are:

The Greek word thanatos, which is the "natural end of life" (death). Used many times, I don't think much needs to be said of it for the purposes under consideration here.

tartarus, which is used only once in II Peter 2:4 as "hell." I Peter 3:18-20 and Jude 6 must be taken into consideration with it, and it will show this as some place that applies only to the evil spirits that corrupted the earth before the flood. They are referred to as the "imprisoned spirits." Tartarus represents the "boundaries" for them, established at one time for them with continuing results. In a sense, you might say they are "in jail." Put under "lock and key" or "chained up," and not allowed to "roam the earth" as other spirits do.

gehenna is used 12 x's, and is always translated "hell," a place of torment.

There is a Hebrew word abaddon, that is used 6 x's and translated as "destruction" in Job 26:6; 28:22; 31:12; Psalm 88:11; Proverbs 15:11; and 27:20.

The last is a Greek word abussos [literally, abyss] that is translated as "deep" (2x) and as "bottomless pit" (6x).

The abyss is a place of torment where some devils may be now confined. (I'm not sure.) There were devils that begged Jesus Christ not to send them there "before the time." Matt. 8:29; Mark 5:7; Luke 8:26-31. Twice the spirit of Antichrist is mentioned as coming out of the bottomless pit. (Rev. 11:7; 19:8), and it is the place where Satan and his angels (spirits) will be bound 1000 years.

The "lake of fire" is found five times, Revelation 19:20; 20:10, 14, 15; and 21:8.

There is no record of anyone or anything being in the lake of fire now.

TC

-- posted by Truthcounsellor

http://www.suite101.com/discussion.cfm/christianity_protestant/40160/271970

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Gehenna

Gehenna
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gehenna, gehinnam, or gehinnom (Hebrew: גהנום, גהנם, Greek γεεννα) are words used in Jewish and Christian writings for the place where evil people go in the afterlife (see Hell). The name is derived from a geographical site in Jerusalem known as the Valley of Hinnom, one of the two principal valleys surrounding the Old City. Initially the site where idolatrous Jews sacrificed their children to the god Molech (2 Chr. 28:3, 33:6; Jer. 7:31, 19:2-6), the valley later became the common wasteyard for all the refuse of Jerusalem.

Here the dead bodies of animals and of criminals, and rubbish, were cast and consumed by a constant fire. In time it became the image of the place of everlasting destruction in Jewish tradition. However, Jewish tradition suggests the valley had a 'gate' which led down to a molten lake of fire. (Possibly 'The furnace of Yahweh' in Zion to which Isaiah refers 31:9, 30:33). It is unknown whether this 'gate' was an actual geophysical feature within the valley that provided the focus for cultic activity (2 Kings 23:10) or simply a metaphorical identification with the entrance to the underworld that had come to be associated with the valley.

Gehenna is cited in the New Testament and in early Christian writing to represent the final place where the wicked will be punished or destroyed after resurrection. The name given to Hell in Islam, Jahannam, directly correlates with Gehenna as well. In both Rabbinical Jewish and Christian writing, Gehenna as a destination of the wicked is different from Sheol or Hades, the abode of the dead.

Etymology

"Gehenna" is the Christian rendering of "Ge Hinnom," literally "Valley of Hinnom," known in the Old Testament as Gai Ben-Hinnom, literally the "Valley of the son of Hinnom", and in the Talmud as Gehinnam (גהנם) or Gehinnom.

In the Qur'an, gehenna (Gehennem, Jahannam, جهنم) is a place of torment for sinners or the Islamic equivalent of hell.

In the Hebrew Bible, Gai Ben-Hinnom does not refer to hell but rather to a real valley in Jerusalem (Joshua 15:8, Joshua 18:16, 2nd Kings 23:10, 2 Chronicles 28:3, 2nd Chronicles 33:6,Nehemiah 11:30, Jeremiah 7:31~32, Jeremiah 19:2, Jeremiah 19:6, Jeremiah 32:35). Garbage from the walled city was burned there.

Geography

The Valley of Hinnom is located below the southern wall of ancient Jerusalem. It stretches from the foot of Mount Zion eastward past the Tyropoeon to the Kidron Valley. In the King James Version of the Bible, the term appears 13 times in 11 different verses as "valley of Hinnom," "valley of the son of Hinnom" or "valley of the children of Hinnom."

History

The southwestern gate of Jerusalem, overlooking the valley, came to be known as "The Gate of the Valley" (Hebrew: שער הגיא‎). The Book of Jeremiah (2:23) speaks of residents worshipping Moloch and committing abominations, foreshadowing the destruction of Jerusalem. It is not described as a spiritual hell but as a literal valley in Jerusalem (Joshua 15:8, Joshua 18:16, 2nd Kings 23:10, 2 Chronicles 28:3, 2nd Chronicles 33:6, Nehemiah 11:30, Jeremiah 7:31~32, Jeremiah 19:2, Jeremiah 19:6, Jeremiah 32:35).

In ancient times, it is believed that children were sacrificed to the pagan god Molech in Gehenna, a practice that was outlawed by King Josiah (2 Kings, 23:10). Biblical commentator Rashi explains that priests would bang on drums (Hebrew: tof, tupim) (Hebrew: תופים‎) so fathers would not hear the groans of children being sacrificed. Hence the name Topheth. Fires were kept burning and the valley became the garbage dump of the city. The dead bodies of criminals, and the carcasses of animals were also thrown there.

Christian New Testament references

In the synoptic gospels Jesus uses the word Gehenna 11 times to describe the opposite to life in the promised, coming Kingdom (Mark 9:43-8).[2] It is a place where both soul and body could be destroyed (Matthew 10:28) in "unquenchable fire" (Mark 9:43).

In Matthew 23:33, Jesus observes, "Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of gehenna?" ("οφεις γεννηματα εχιδνων πως φυγητε απο της κρισεως της γεεννης"). The word gehenna is also found in the epistle of James, where it is said to set the tongue on fire. Many Christians understand gehenna to be a place of eternal punishment called hell.[3] On the other hand, annihilationists understand gehenna to be a place where sinners are utterly destroyed, not tormented forever. Christian Universalists, who believe that God will eventually save all souls, interpret the New Testament references to Gehenna in the context of the Old Testament and conclude that it always refers to the imminent divine judgment of Israel and not to eternal torment for the unsaved.

The New Testament refers to Hades as a destination of the dead. Hades is portrayed as a different place from gehenna. Yet, even so, the Book of Revelation describes Hades being cast into the Lake of Fire (Revelation 20:14), which many Christians today interpret as meaning the same thing as gehenna.

The Valley of Hinnom is also the traditional location of the Potter's Field bought by priests after Judas' suicide with the "blood money" with which Judas was paid for betraying Jesus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna

9. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

I don't know, and I don't wanna find out! lol

10. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,783
    LOL