African Traditional Religion : Qs Traditional Ifa.

orishadevotee

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 25, 2010
Blessings all,

I know about santeria and candomble, but i want to learn more about traditional ifa. But, there are some things i am not clear about yet.

1. Is it true that Yemaya is associated with the full moon? I have read that she is, if so, would it be unorthodox to honor her on the days of the full moon or would this be a neopagan practice?

2. Are there any harvest/seasonal festivals celebrated/recognized among the Yoruba? If so, which are they?

3. Are full moons observed/recognized/celebrated among the Yoruba?

4. Is salt a no-no for the eegun in Traditional Ifa? I know that this is a yes for Lukumi...but I don't know if this is because of the influence of spiritism.

5. How are women treated in Ifa? Any women who would like to share?
Santeria seems the most sexist and patriarchal out of the three, and Candomble, the most egalitarian.

Chief Fama's book mentions certain offerings for the eegun but I don't see the no salt taboo.

Thanks.

1. Is it true that Yemaya is associated with the full moon? I have read that she is, if so, would it be unorthodox to honor her on the days of the full moon or would this be a neopagan practice?

Yemoja is a water Orisa and has all the attributes of a water Orisa she is associated with the Ogun river. She is a nurturing energy and is mosttly about the amniotic fluid. No real connection to the moon.

2. Are there any harvest/seasonal festivals celebrated/recognized among the Yoruba? If so, which are they?

We follow a worship schedule that is every five days when the earth chakras are open. we also have a 16 day and 91 day. the 91 day prayer schedule is the seasonal one that falls on the equinoxes, etc. on this day the awo of the community all pray all day long for the good of the community.

3. Are full moons observed/recognized/celebrated among the Yoruba?

By the Iyami, the women's society.

4. Is salt a no-no for the eegun in Traditional Ifa? I know that this is a yes for Lukumi...but I don't know if this is because of the influence of spiritism.

We give our ancestors the things they liked when alive, so... salt is a cleansing element like Ofun together they are powerful cleansing elements

5. How are women treated in Ifa? Any women who would like to share?
Santeria seems the most sexist and patriarchal out of the three, and Candomble, the most egalitarian.

There are serious differences between Yoruba and Lucumi/santeria. first of all, Yoruba was created outside of white supremacy philosophical influence. Yoruba menand women are equal. there is a constant stress/conflict between male female energy that must be mediated.

Okunrin nii siwaju aya re,
ti tun to yaa re leyin
Oya, obinrin to roro j'oko lo
bi okunrun ri ejo ti obinrin pa a,
ki ejo ma saa ti lo

A man walks in front of his wife,
and he walks behind his mother
Oya, the woman who is stronger than her husband
if a man sees a snake and a woman kills it,
it doesn't matter
what matters is the snake is dead

This stanza from Odu has several messages. metaphysically, it points to the circular nature of things. Second it points to one of the biggest differences between diaspora manifestations of the religion and the Yoruba. A woman in Ifa/Orisa can do anything a man can do if she knows how. There are no isms in Ifa. Isms grow out of thinking we know what God thinks. It is dogma. dogma in Ifa is the root of all evil.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back