Black People : Put Inner-Attainment on the Curriculum

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by anAfrican, Dec 20, 2005.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    we keep looking around and seeing yet another atrocity and repeating the question "what we gonna do?!".

1) build an educational system that does not blunt or redirect that spark of creativity that is in all African children. a system that seeks out, encourages and nurtures the intellectual genius that is all African children. put more emphasis on cognitive ability rather than the ability to "follow instructions". (that's where our "leaders" went; they were blunted in elementary school!!)

to the education professionals here:
    how does "education" work? how does that "spark of genius" manifest itself? how is it encouraged? what would an appropriate curriculum look like in elementary school? in jr hi/middle school? in high school? what are the techniques for bringing this genius to the fore? they taught me to read using the sounds of the letters; i could read anything just by taking the time to sound the words out one letter at a time, then one syllable at a time, one word at a time. then hook them into sentences. once the sentence flowed, hook it to the preceeding sentences and make some sense out of them. then start over with the next sentence. i love to read!! is that method no longer being used? let's build a curriculum that encourages all the genius of the African mind!!

another thought; are there HBCUs that are doing distant learning? would having a space here with connections to distant learning programs (on all levels) be of value to the community (both here and off-line)?

2) turn off the tv. stop encouraging "professional slavery" (fellas could do us more good with a real job rather than a "job" of running up and down with some silly little ball! or pummeling on each other!! and all that "shuckin n jivin" needs to quit too! "entertainment" ... right ...).

Inner-attainment is not going to be found via entertainment!! (heck, brother oldsoul used the word and it just resonated. i can "feel" what it means, but spelling out what/how ....)

3) quit destroying our community: it is not their fault that they are out there doing them things!! they are there because our "society" requires them to be. for one thing, it supports the need for "community enforcement". for another, it keeps us divided as we forget that they are our children, brothers, sisters and parents, and go along with the media that tells us to deride them!! and when we do reach out to them; stop trying to force them right back into the mold that created them in the first place!!

4) if the "tools" (business, education, finance) of today are used in the hopes of building a better tomorrow, then when we wake up tomorrow we are gonna find ourselves living today ... all over again ... ad infinitum.

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    good ideas...where do when begin to put them into practice?

3. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    i am so glad that you were the first to respond because i was thinking about you when i wrote that!! gotcha! LOL

we could begin with the education bit right now: what do the curricula that YOU have used look like? for which grade levels? what has been missing in the "educational toolbox" that students have come to your classes with? or, even more basic; back to the questions in the educational bit - what is an educational system? how should it be used? as well as/as opposed to: how is it being used?

<sigh> were i an educator, i would be bringing this as statements/answers rather than questions.

no matter what else we need; this has to be the absolute most important bottom line need facing us!

maybe begin by building a "virtual educational system"? muds, moos, mushes, virtual worlds, text based virtual environments - prolly more along the lines of moos, rather than muds as muds are usually more "combat oriented".

(Multi User [Dungeon/Domain]; MUD Object Oriented; Multi User Shared Hallucination (they just wanted to be different, mostly). Diversity University MOO. google it.)

4. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    Home Schoolers!

another thought might would be to hear from all the Home Schoolers.